Does anyone know how good the HT Omega Fenix is?
Feb 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trickster5596

Head-Fier
I'd like to clean up the cable clutter on my desk and get multi-channel audio for gaming by replacing my Fiio E10k with the HT Omega Fenix. It seems like there are no reviews on this item despite the fact that it is already at least a year old and HT Omega's site doesn't give much info on it either.

My questions are:
1. Will it be comparable or better than the E10k in sound quality?
2. Are the Windows 10 drivers any good?
3. Will it be powerful enough to drive my 120ohm AKG K612 Pro headphones (without having to switch the op-amps?)

If the answer to any of these questions is "No" could you recommend another PCIe x1 card that costs around $100?

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 6
After doing some detective work (looking closely at photos and spec sheets for the other HT products.) I discovered that the Fenix has JCR 4580 op-amps which are the same as the Claro Halo and Halo XT which are both rated to drive 600ohm headphones. I still don't know if its a worthy upgrade from my Fiio though.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 6
  I'd like to clean up the cable clutter on my desk and get multi-channel audio for gaming by replacing my Fiio E10k with the HT Omega Fenix. It seems like there are no reviews on this item despite the fact that it is already at least a year old and HT Omega's site doesn't give much info on it either.

My questions are:
1. Will it be comparable or better than the E10k in sound quality?
2. Are the Windows 10 drivers any good?
3. Will it be powerful enough to drive my 120ohm AKG K612 Pro headphones (without having to switch the op-amps?)

If the answer to any of these questions is "No" could you recommend another PCIe x1 card that costs around $100?

I think the HT Omega Fenix is a little over priced ($70-$100).
It uses the same chip set (C-Media CM8828) that is found on a sound card that costs $30.
I would guess the Fenix is better then the $30 card and offers a lot more options, then the $30 card.
but a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z card comes with a better DAC function (higher SNR)
You can get the SB-Z for $70.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 6

I think the HT Omega Fenix is a little over priced ($70-$100).
It uses the same chip set (C-Media CM8828) that is found on a sound card that costs $30.
I would guess the Fenix is better then the $30 card and offers a lot more options, then the $30 card.
but a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z card comes with a better DAC function (higher SNR)
You can get the SB-Z for $70.

Can I get a link for that $30 sound card and the listed SNR for the Fenix? I'm not sure I trust Creative to provide good drivers considering their track record for dropping support on their products. ASUS also seems to be dropping support as they still don't have W10 drivers for their Xonar series cards.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 6

Can I get a link for that $30 sound card and the listed SNR for the Fenix? I'm not sure I trust Creative to provide good drivers considering their track record for dropping support on their products. ASUS also seems to be dropping support as they still don't have W10 drivers for their Xonar series cards.

Here is a link to the $30 sound card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281852578011?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I doubt it's headphone amplifier is as powerful as the one in the Fenix.
So I would suggest skipping on the $30 card, as the AKG K612 Pro is somewhat power demanding.

So far can not find anything on the SNR, but I believe it's around 100 to 104, for the CM8828 chip-set.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Blows away every sound I've ever had. Stereo separation is incredible! Make my Klipsch speakers come alive. The better the speakers you have, the better the sound will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back