Does anyone know anything about Audigy 3?
Sep 28, 2004 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
I googled it but didn't find much info. There were several links, but most were in other languages (d'oh!). I remember reading that the Audigy 3 was supposed to be a significant step up from the Audigy 2 in terms of sound quality, and basically I want to know if anyone can confirm this. I am thinking about buying an E-MU 0404 or 1212m, but if Audigy 3 will be a huge step up in SQ from the Audigy 2 then I will just wait and be happy with my current equipment. However if the Audigy 3 will just be a rehashed Audigy 2 with newer, enhanced 3D gaming capabilities but little or no increase in actual sound quality then I won't bother with it.

Is there enough info available on this card to even know what it will be like? I hope Creative doesn't drop the ball on this one. I know that for most hard core gamers, the Audigy 2's sound quality is just fine but I wish they would release a card that combined the great gaming capabilities of the Audigy 2 with the sound quality of the E-MU cards (that's probably wishful thinking).

Perhaps they are intentionally trying to keep the markets seperate? I mean if the Audigy 3 came out and had the sound quality of an E-MU 0404, Creative probably wouldn't sell as many E-MU cards... It just stinks having to buy 2 sound cards to have great gaming functions and great music fidelity, but maybe it's asking too much to have a jack of all trades. Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

Sep 28, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 4
I agree that with the Audigy 3, Creative have the opportunity to release a great card that satisfies a lot of people. And that based on their past record, unfortunately, they are unlikely to come through.

The way I see it, there are 3 main groups of people buying soundcards:
1. Gamers
There is always room for improvement, but to a large extent their needs are met by the current Audigy 2 cards

2. People who want quality 2-channel sound
There are several excellent options including the EMU cards, RME etc. All of these offer excellent sound quality, but are basically designed for professional audio applications, so offer complicated interfaces, unnecessary software and unnecessary features (eg high quality ADCs)

3. People who want quality multichannel sound
This includes the Home Theatre PC crowd, some of who want a soundcard to take over the DAC and preamp functions of their receiver. Their needs are met to a degree by some of the Envy-based cards like the Revo, Prodigy and Terratec. But as good as these cards are, there is really nothing on the market that can compete with a mid-high end receiver (ie have multichannel sound quality as good as the EMU cards as well as bass management etc.)

My point is that with current technology, it should be easily possible to make a soundcard that satisfies all three of these groups. If Creative were to take the current Audigy 2 ZS, get rid of the resampling issue for 44.1kHZ, improve the DACs a bit and add decent bass management, they would basically be there or thereabouts. They could have a basic version retailing for about US $100 with sound quality somewhere between the Revo and the EMU0404, as well as an "Audiophile" version retailing for US $200-300 with sound quality comparable to the EMU1212m.

It seems so simple to me. But for some reason I doubt we will get it ....

Sep 28, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 4
improve DACs? they are using the top of the line multichannel DAC from Crystal, what else do you ask for? the problem is in their incredibly stupid analog stage design.. as for the 44.1 issue, E-MU learned us that this is no problem with EMU10k2, it just need proper implementation..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back