Does anyone know anything about a Meridian 203 DAC?
Oct 2, 2007 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trose49

Banned
Serial number is 203103395. Is this a 1995 unit? Any info would be great.

I have also heard the term DAC 7 used about a 203.

What is this and how can you tell if is a Dac 7 Version?

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Been hunting on Audiogon?
wink.gif

My guess is that for $275 you could do a whole lot worse. If I were you I'd list the HR-2 for sale for a specific price and then use that as my budget to buy a DAC/CD Player. If you do go the CDP route it sounds like you'd be looking for something with digital inputs (for your music server) which might blow your budget unless you get lucky on the used market. The 566 24 that just sold would have been a great DAC if you like the Meridian sound.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 9
I dont know what I want thats half the problem.

I thought about going with Apple TV Optical > Monarchy (DIP) to an Ack Dack!>Raptor?

How does that sound for a set-up? Anyone?

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Honestly, you might want to spend some time getting to know the Raptor before you sell the HR-2 or try to pick a source that goes well with either. Just my 2¢.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I've owned two 203s, a couple of years apart.
Against a cheap CDP, they're pretty good. Unfortunately against a decent DAC (e.g. Shrek NOS DAC), the 203 sounds synthetic, and seems to manipulate the signal a little.
Personally I'd much rather have a good NOS DAC.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Getting impressions from the forums can only take you so far, you really should give serious consideration to attending a regional meet. That's the best place to gather meaningful impressions of your own, more importantly with your own gear.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting impressions from the forums can only take you so far, you really should give serious consideration to attending a regional meet. That's the best place to gather meaningful impressions of your own, more importantly with your own gear.

So true. And hard as it may be, I recommend writing down your impressions while listening to different gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back