Does anyone know about the Sony D-E885 PCDP?
Jul 11, 2002 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
On the whole of Head-Fi, there is only one post that has the 'E885' mentioned (aka E855 in the UK)... and it doesn't mention anything about the sound...

Basically, the player has a luminescent display on both the player and the remote, and it looks pretty cool too, with its aliminium body...

Does anyone who visits this forum know about this player... and if its worth trying to pick one up? (in 1998 it was second in line to the E905)

Thanks

Jul 11, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Duncan,
The 885 features "Megabass" and "Groove" sound mode. It is the 2nd highend Discman in 1998. It has green backlit LCD, and the chasis is slim with aluminum casing. The remote controller is also backlit and share many similarity to the D-EJ915's.
The unit is thin (around 20 mm). It looks and feel very solid. I had a pleasure of listening to it once. The Groove is very disappointing. Kind of muddy sounding. The earphone features "groove caps" to boost the bass. It has the optical line out and comes with Ni-MH (AA) rechargeable battery. The anti-shock system is ESP^2.

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Duncan, I've listend once to this player and the sound quality is very poor. Don't trouble yourself picking one up. The connection cord on the top cover is also very flimsy.

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by netsurfer
Duncan, I've listend once to this player and the sound quality is very poor. Don't trouble yourself picking one up. The connection cord on the top cover is also very flimsy.

Thanks for that Netsurfer... Your honest opinion is much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 6
ive got the d-e885 and its still my current and only pcdp so i dont really know how it compares with other pcdp but i think the headphone out does a decent job compared with the d-e885/porta corda setup.

before purchase i compared it with the pana and found the pana to be more neutral but not as enjoyable(more a sony vs pana thing). I think it sounds quite good for what it is but it's notceably inferior to the sony mini cmt-sd1 or arcam cd72.

the esp2 is next to useless and the groove is horrible but some times when i feel naughty i'd switch the mega bass on.
biggrin.gif
i must admit on occassions i quite enjoy the mega bass, unfortunately you cant use mega bass with the line out.. makes alot of sense.

the build is solid but not exceptional. i had the e885 for around 3yrs+, bought it in singapore and still in working order.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 6
I think it's ok but I've never bothered to sit down and A/B it with my XA777ES. But then again, that's probably not a fair comparison. But, I can't justify buying another player...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back