Does anyone know a headphone that fits this
Oct 30, 2011 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Struckk

New Head-Fier
Budget -> around 30$, lesser the better.
First needs to be open, as open as it gets. I need to hear phone/people/door bell/etc
For music (rock and blues)
Needs to be comfy and big, easy to wear and remove,
headbanded
Not portable
It can be ugly or cool, I don't care
For home use
Does not requires an amp to sound good, can be driven by an PC sound card or a Clip+.

I know I'm wanting too much from a too small budget, but this is all I have. I don't have a CC, so no online order. I'm limited to local dealers, so please make multiple suggestions.

Any suggestions welcomed

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 16
You can buy Amazon.com gift cards without a fee at lots of local shops in the US (assuming you are in the US).  You can use these for online purchases.  This expands the list of headphones you can choose from tremendously.  Here are the shops that offer the cards:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000465651

Not much is going to compete with your Koss KSC75's at that price point.  There are some semi-open Panasonics that might work, the Panasonic RP-HTF600, and when they are in stock have been selling for $29 and free shipping from Amazon.  They may not be as open as you'd like. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 16
I haven't had them in a while, but the HD201 is $30 local in the US and a solid headphone for the price. Maybe someone who still has them can chime in on how well they work with your genres of music.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:

SUPERLUX HD-681

with a little research on the internet, find a store near you

They were the very cans I was thinking about, but the problem is, according the what I read 681 plain isn't that impressive, 681B was the better. I could easily be wrong.

One thing I'm dying to know, instead of putting that small mod compound bundle into the cans, is it possible to just solder them to the cable and save my warranty? If so I would be on my way to the store.
Yep, mod can be done on the extension cord

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 16
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, semi-open headphones, nice sound.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 16
80-90% of what I listen to is rock and blues.
I'll second the Panasonic HTF-600's.  They're plenty open.  I can hear everything just fine with them on. 
I also have the Superlux 668B's (which are $50 and an upgrade from the 681 series) but I like the Panasonics better for most music and way better for movies.
You're going to be really hard pressed to find a better sounding $30 headphone.
They meet all of your criteria spot on and they're worth a trip to the drugstore for a pre-paid visa card.
Check them out at: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
80-90% of what I listen to is rock and blues.
I'll second the Panasonic HTF-600's.  They're plenty open.  I can hear everything just fine with them on. 
I also have the Superlux 668B's (which are $50 and an upgrade from the 681 series) but I like the Panasonics better for most music and way better for movies.
You're going to be really hard pressed to find a better sounding $30 headphone.
They meet all of your criteria spot on and they're worth a trip to the drugstore for a pre-paid visa card.
Check them out at: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

Thanks for the advice, I checked but it turns out that model was not imported in my country, only found one evil guy who was trying to sell it for 200 bucks.

I'm back to superlux, 681, I thinkin bout ordering tonight.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 16
Grado could be a good choice, but for around $30 i doubt you find a pair on good conditions. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Grado's aren't comfortable for long hours. Unless you can stand their sandpaper foam pads. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 16
Hello Struckk,

I'll give you some impressions of the 681B Superlux

The first impression is positive, materials and workmanship overall do not seem to be those of a pair of headphones stay again, but look closely you realize that there is a lot of plastic and that the halls are of a material cheaply. Immediately catches the eye's strong resemblance to the high level of AKG, dall'archetto to the halls of many generous size and see the similarities do not end here.

The headset is lightweight, very comfortable, well worn for many hours.

The advantages are an incredible, unexpected detail, very good regardless of the value for money. The scene is wide open, the soundstage is very wide. Other advantage is the excellent power handling despite the low impedance and high ease of drive. The headset is in fact a 32Ohm headphone and they are connected to my sound card.
Defects? It is also important. Compared to higher-level headset has revealed a lack of "body" and the low weight, with an 'excessive exuberance on high and with some hissing and a rebel too dynamic not to the highest levels. But be careful ... these are the same flaws that in my ear, denotes, in a less significant and except for the dynamic, AKG701 ... but compared to the AKG-K141 has more detail and a much larger scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back