Does Anyone Here Use EQ For Their iPod 5G?
Oct 4, 2006 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone here use EQ for their iPod 5G? I'm a little reluctant to shift over to Rockbox until it's verified to be rock solid, so in the meanwhile, I need to figure out what EQ setting to use while on the go and without a dock connector/amp. The stock setting seems to be a little too light (but it could just be that I haven't acclimated yet since I just recieved my 5G not too long ago).

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi,

I use a SENAB build of Rockbox and standard WPS with larger fonts selected. With FLAC I've had absolutely no problems. Don't forget that if you install Rockbox, you can still boot to the original Apple firmware if you wish to.

Senab's builds can be found via a link in the Forum under Unsupported builds.

PS Ipod Video n60gb.

Cheers

John

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 10
bLue_oNioN says:
Quote:

Does Anyone Here Use EQ For Their iPod 5G?

EQ is not an iPod strong suit. Never use it. There are a number of thread (there is a very recent one that talks about the pro's and con's of Rockbox). I have never used Rockbox, but it has many admires.

For me, I go line-out to an amp. I like iTunes and have spent time (maybe too much) making smart lists. I can painlessly download the music I want. I also don't want to give up my daily podcast. I do not believe either are readily available with Rockbox.

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 10
I have a 5g and Um2's and I use the "treble booster" EQ on my iPod. I find that this works very well as long as you have mp3gained all your songs to prevent distortion. I have all my songs at 89db. In my opinion, the Um2's are too veiled without the boost to the treble.

As a side note, I have Rockbox installed and do think it sounds better (especially with Hardware EQ). I just find it too hard to navigate. The scrolling is SO SLOW. It takes forever to go through my artists. I know about the scroll acceleration patch, but there is no build that has this patch and Hardware EQ as well, so for now I will stick with the Apple OS. -CK

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 10
as I recall from previous threads, Rockbox is supposed to be issued in about a month or so supporting the Ipod 5g. Why not wait until it's "settled" and try it?

I never use EQ, but I also use IEMs and don't feel they need it.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 10
I use rock or electronic eq for my music. MAke sure to mp3 gain your music before using the eq or you'll get distortion. Mp3 gain makes a world of differeance...although the iPods eq still leaves alot to be desired

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
as I recall from previous threads, Rockbox is supposed to be issued in about a month or so supporting the Ipod 5g. Why not wait until it's "settled" and try it?

There is no firm release date for any upcoming release of Rockbox.

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Aside from the themes, the main reason why I'm using Rockbox is because of the customizable EQ. Hardware EQ can be turned on, but I'm not sure what this function actually does.

With my ER-4, I just add a db or so to 60Hz and enjoy some nicely added deep bass. The Rockbox EQ is so flexible that you can change almost any frequency.
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 10
unamped, i will often use the "bass boost" EQ...otherwise, i turn it off.

the UM2, as said above, can stand to have treble boost almost all the time, IMO...anything to tame that overbearing low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back