Does anyone here have the Creek Destiny Integrated Amplifier?
Sep 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes, I used the search function
biggrin.gif
- but only got results about the Destiny CD player vs. Arcam CD36.

I just bought this amp to go with my new Quad 99 CDP-2, but I can’t find any user reviews about the Destiny. I read the Stereophile and Absolute Sound reviews (both very positive), but while I’m going through the painful torture of waiting for it to arrive, I’d really like to hear from anyone here who’s actually using it.

I tried (and returned) the Arcam FMJ A32 (didn't like it) - then I considered a Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated, but although the editorial reviews were good, I was put off by a few user reviews which claimed the vocals sounded a little bright. I don't like bright vocals, they hurt my ears
frown.gif
- so then I researched the Destiny, and it seems to be everything I'm looking for. What swayed me were comments such as these, from Stereophile.

• pristine, extended, and detailed high frequencies with no trace of hardness, and a purity and delicacy that reminded me more of the pricier Jeff Rowland Design Group products than of older Creek designs

an organic rendering of low-level dynamic articulation and subtleties that reminded me of expensive tubed gear, and a powerful sense of high-level dynamic slam that, with the right recordings, could be startling

• superb rendition of inner detail across the frequency spectrum, combined with abilities to render hall sound, image specificity, and ambience that rivaled much more expensive separates

So, if anyone has one - is it all true? Does it really sound that good?

The reviewer from Stereophile was using $1000 Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers, and I'm using Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 floorstanders (which are comparable and cost a little bit more.) So I'm not worried about the speakers being a 'weak link' - I just want some reassurance that the Destiny sounds waaaaay more than good
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the 5350SE and have auditioned Destiny extensively. Those comments are pretty accurate, but whether that sounds good to you is not guaranteed. I personally didn't find Destiny to be worth $1k over 5350SE, but I thought my Ayre was def worth $2k over 5350SE.

You will not get any SET level of presence with Creek stuff, unlike Ayre.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you buying stuff without listening to it with your system?

No, I'm testing the stuff at home, for either 7 or 30 days (depending on the retailer's return policy.) It's the only way to know how it will sound within my own set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I have the 5350SE and have auditioned Destiny extensively. Those comments are pretty accurate, but whether that sounds good to you is not guaranteed. I personally didn't find Destiny to be worth $1k over 5350SE, but I thought my Ayre was def worth $2k over 5350SE.

The difference in price between the Destiny and 5350SE (here in the UK), is £250 ($500), so I figured I wouldn't waste time wondering what the difference was, I just went straight for the Destiny
beyersmile.png

I know it's not guaranteed I'll like the sound, but I have a better feeling about it since you confirmed the Stereophile comments were pretty accurate. Plus I have 30 days to decide. I've never spent that much on a single piece of audio equipment before, so I'm glad I get to try it out for longer than a week.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 8
I picked up the Creek Destiny Integrated Amp this past Thursday. So far, I love the sound this little gem produces and it is not even broke in yet! The Destiny is an across the board improvement over my Cambridge Audio 640 V.2. To be fair to the Cambridge unit, the Destiny cost 4x as much.

The only cons I have are the volume index position is hard to see from across the room and the remote is poorly designed. Neither of these are show stoppers for me.

Sep 14, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up the Creek Destiny Integrated Amp this past Thursday. So far, I love the sound this little gem produces and it is not even broke in yet! The Destiny is an across the board improvement over my Cambridge Audio 640 V.2. To be fair to the Cambridge unit, the Destiny cost 4x as much. The only cons I have are the volume index position is hard to see from across the room and the remote is poorly designed. Neither of these are show stoppers for me.

I've had mine since Thursday too
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

And I'm also LOVING the sound. It brings everything to life, I'm listening to everything with 'new' ears. I don't mind the remote or the invisible volume index, but the 3 bright green lights on the side distract me a little. I'd like to cover them up, I can see them glowing in the distance
dt880smile.png

And a balance control would have been useful.

Have you been burning it in continuously? I've been turning it off at night. I know one of the reviewers let it burn in for a week before he reviewed it, but I'm not sure what changes to expect. It already sounds wonderful.

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had mine since Thursday too
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

And I'm also LOVING the sound. It brings everything to life, I'm listening to everything with 'new' ears. I don't mind the remote or the invisible volume index, but the 3 bright green lights on the side distract me a little. I'd like to cover them up, I can see them glowing in the distance
dt880smile.png

And a balance control would have been useful.

Have you been burning it in continuously? I've been turning it off at night. I know one of the reviewers let it burn in for a week before he reviewed it, but I'm not sure what changes to expect. It already sounds wonderful.

Soozieq:

I'm not sure if you have stumbled across this yet, but you can either dim or shut off the green LEDs by pressing the "Amp", then "Disp" button on the remote control. That should take care of the lights.

I have been working on burning my amp in, but the wife would never stand for 7x24 burn-in. I have been working on burn-in an hour in the morning and a couple at night. I look at it like I'll get there when I get there. I'm enjoying the ride anyway. This is a great amp!

I really, really, really, want to get an upgraded CD-Player that is on par with the Destiny amp, but I'm afraid my wife won't go for that at the moment.
frown.gif

I think if I can sell my Cambridge 640a V2 amp, then she may be more receptive to getting the CD-Player.

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soozieq:I'm not sure if you have stumbled across this yet, but you can
either dim or shut off the green LEDs by pressing the "Amp", then "Disp" button on the remote control. That should take care of the lights.

Oh thank GOD! Thanks for that. I just dimmed it
biggrin.gif

I've had green lights dancing in my eyes since I got it!!

Quote:

I really, really, really, want to get an upgraded CD-Player that is on par with the Destiny amp, but I'm afraid my wife won't go for that at the moment.

If you're in the UK, you can get a divorce really fast
biggrin.gif

Quote:

This is a great amp!

Yeah, it really is. I love it and don't regret the cost for a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back