Does anyone here have a PSP?
Dec 3, 2006 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Cjattwood

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a PSP, and just wanted to know what people here thought of it. It's a toss-up really between the DS and the PSP, the DS does have better games at the moment, but all my friends have a DS so I can play one whenever I want. How are the media capabilities of the PSP? good for watching videos? thanks in advance for any responses.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 60
I have myself a PSP. I think it`s a bit of a posh gadget.

Very nice and shiny, there a few great games for this system. Like Locoroco and Lumines.

The video capabilities are great, you can watch movies on umd. Or you can put your own movies on the memorystick.

The sound quality of the headphone output is not as good as from an iPod. but it`s ok.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 60
My cousin lent me his, never use it. Games are okay, though many are just sub-par ports of ps2 titles. Screen has a low refresh rate so there's obvious blurring during movement, and the load times can be nuts. IMO, you'd be better off getting a dedicated portable video player if watching stuff is priority. PSP isn't worth it unless you hack it and use a large memory stick to load games/videos/homebrew. (and don't already have a ps2)

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting a PSP, and just wanted to know what people here thought of it. It's a toss-up really between the DS and the PSP, the DS does have better games at the moment, but all my friends have a DS so I can play one whenever I want. How are the media capabilities of the PSP? good for watching videos? thanks in advance for any responses.

I have one in excellent condition always had screen protector from day one. I probably have like 5 or 6 games and 4 or 5 movies. I will sell it all for $250.00.

Includes original box and power cords etc.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 60
I got one but it's been sitting in my drawer after about 2 months of use. I initially thought this thing was going to be my do it all multimedia device but still went for my Zen Vision:M/MD player for travel/commute. Don't get me wrong, it's great for video and has decent audio; games are a bit on the okay side (Lumines is THE best game for it IMO), it just never grew on me. Kinda makes you wonder about it's dismal sale performance compared to the DS
plainface.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 60
I have a PSP. Version 1.5, so I can emulate everything I want. I can run ISO backups of the UMDs I have, making the load times much much shorter. I have Genesis, NES, SNES, and have tried some N64 games on my psp. The first three work flawlessly, but N64 is still being worked on.

If you're looking for something that can play games, watch movies, and play music fairly well, you might want to pick one up off of ebay, and get a 2 GB ms duo for around $40.
So far my favorite games are: Socom, Syphon Filter, Socom 2, Lumines (I'm awful at it). It all depends on what kind of games your into.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 60
I have one and i love it. I mostly play winning eleven. Other than that, i play syphon filter. I'm waiting for Metal Gear portable ops. I like the convenience of having a portable internet browser with me. There are many free wifi spots in Boston and i can just log on and search for stuff if i need to. I'm also waiting to get the gps attachment. I'm gonna do a road trip to yellowstone and the gps plus watching movies is just nice to have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 60
yeah if u r technically savvy it can be a neat tool. it owns with sports games imo the rest I don't play much but it really is for occasional portable use. I would probably die without it while on vacation or travelling lol. Tekken 5 is a great game if you want a fighting game.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 60
DS lite in Onyx for me.

Although I am biased against Sony
rolleyes.gif
, I chose the DS because it excels in the one thing it was MEANT for: games (and fun ones at that one too). The PSP seems to have half-baked games (Lumines = Meteos; same maker), and whatever it has incorporated into its firmware that the DS doesn't have (which is plenty), they are also half-baked within their own rights.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 60
I would go with the PSP just for it's sexy factory. Besides, it's got a huge screen which could be useful for watching movies on the go.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 60
I love my PSP. Got it off a girl I knew living 3 floors above me for 200 bucks last christmas. I got the PSP, a 512 mem stick, death junior, lumines, and the spiderman 2 movie and a carry case. From watching movies, to browsing the web and playing old rom's on the go, I'd say the PSP was worth every dollar I spent. I must say though that the PSP does need some better games mainly in the RPG genre. I hope 2007 will bring a new age for the PSP.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 60
I just ordered a PSP with a broken UMD drive from eBay. Cost me €90 with a battery and charger (it costs twice that new).
I don't intend to use it to run UMD games or watch UMD movies, so the lack of a working UMD drive isn't a problem.
I also hated the idea of giving Sony any money, so I'm glad I found it used.

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 60
I have a DS Lite and a PSP. I have used both extensively, but if I could only live with one, it would be the PSP.

Good widescreen video capability is handy when you're bored of music or games. I play games from backed up iso's stored on a 4GB memory stick, and load times are usually 40-70% less, it really is a non-issue when playing iso's. Battery life also seems to be far improved when the UMD drive does not need to spin up. 3D graphic games offer good visual appeal, and there are many games out there with good gameplay.

The DS Lite is not as fun to me. Less games appeal to me on the DS, and 3D graphic games are just horrible (Mech Assault on the DS for example). The only DS game I really got into was Phoenix Wright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back