Does anyone have recommendation for MP3 player?
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

goodsongs

Head-Fier
Does a $60 Sansa clip that can play FLAC file much better sounding than iPhone playing the same music in MP3?

I heard COWON sounds good, is that true?

What's the best sounding MP3 player?

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 22
Best sounding mp3 player can cost a thousand dollars or more. What's your budget?

Cowons j3 are good sounding for the price they are offered with a nice look and the sansa clip i think are also great especially for such a neat little device.

If you want the best user interface, apple is the king in my opinion. 

Most important thing is to answer your budget tho :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 22
  Does a $60 Sansa clip that can play FLAC file much better sounding than iPhone playing the same music in MP3?

I heard COWON sounds good, is that true?

What's the best sounding MP3 player?

I really doubt a Sansa or iPhone are good enough to really make a noticeable difference between a FLAC file and a 256K mp3 file.
I would think a FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50 would give you the best sound in the $200 to $230 range.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 22
I have a Cowon J3 and listen mostly to mp3 at 320kbps. The sound is solid with my UE700 IEM, but it definitely improves when I play the few FLAC files that I am able to fit on the device. The problem with FLAC on portable devices is how much more storage space they require.

As far as best, I think it depends on your needs and preferences. The Cowon range offer features besides audio, as do the Apple and Sony (NWZ-F886 for instance) range. If you want pure audio, FiiO, iBasso, Astell & Kern, HiFiMan all offer varying degrees of quality and pricing.

May 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 22
I do you choose between these? FiiO, iBasso, Astell & Kern, HiFiMan. Also how does J3 compare to these.

The best sounding DAP, ignoring price factor, is the Astell&Kern AK240, they just stomp on all other MP3 players like they're nothing, for $2500.

But the good, cheaper ones are the Cowon J3, FiiO X3, or the iBasso DX50. Sansas are also decent, though I've never personally owned one.

May 3, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 22
fiio x3 pretty good bang for the buck
i really enjoy it theres a lot of talk of numbers
brands file types etc...but it just makes me happy

refurb sansa clip zip can be had for around 20 bucks
rockbox it and its a pretty good player does it sound better
than an iphone i dunno sounds pretty good and takes sdhc cards
it a good start for not a lotta money

you have to decide whats best for you

May 3, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 22
Sansa Clip+ for $40 is a no-brainer. Rockbox it and it gets even better. Also, imo, it's the only device which is truly portable. It also manages to easily drive my V-Moda's perfectly well. Is it the ultimate? No. My one is so good I've just bought another, just in case SanDisk stop making them.

May 3, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 22
FLAC on Clips sounds great, better than FLAC on my Iphone 5  to me,
I don't listen to MP3, so can't help there.

My only problem with Clips is their size, great for carrying,
terrible for trying to find the buggers in messy kids bedrooms!

May 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 22
I own an iPod Classic an iPhone 4 and 5s and Wooduo2 IEMs. After seeing all the buzz about the Sansa Clip I dug out my 5 year old Sansa e280 ....lemme just say W-O-W!! Good Bye Apple!! much much MUCH warmer and present !! Prolly paid about 50 bucks for it all those years ago. I thought the Wooduo2s sounded good with the IPhone and IPod --WRONG!! I even thought about getting an anp so I could finally feel that kick ass bass response they are so famous for. Never woulda thought all I needed to do was break out my FIVE YEAR OLD Sansa!! Now the bass is slammin harder than I imagined.--- without sacrificing the highs or mids!! Can't wait til my Atrios get here. Considering an upgrade to the Sansa Clip

May 4, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 22
I've only owned two digital portable devices, the first being a Cowon D2. The Clip+ sounds better to my ears. It also has real physical buttons, a feature not to be under-rated on a portable device.

Edit - I should add that I still own the D2 and have compared both a bit. With EQ flat the Clip+ is superior. Both are Rockboxed.

May 4, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 22
I've only owned two digital portable devices, the first being a Cowon D2. The Clip+ sounds better to my ears. It also has real physical buttons, a feature not to be under-rated on a portable device.

Edit - I should add that I still own the D2 and have compared both a bit. With EQ flat the Clip+ is superior. Both are Rockboxed.

Same here. I got my son a Sansa Clip+. Soon as I heard it, I stopped using my D2 and ordered a Clip+ for me too. :D

Based on my experience with the E17 (same DAC/headphone amp as in the X3), I would imagine that the X3 would be better. But maybe not 6 to 7 times better (difference in cost). Definitely will be a diminishing return. I wanted to buy the X3, but FiiO has not implemented replaygain/volume leveling, which is a must for me.

Anyway, read these two threads for discussion about the Clip+ and how it compares with other DAPs and phones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549042/impression-sandisk-sansa-clip
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571987/is-sansa-clip-really-that-good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back