Does anyone have info on these old beyer DT-440 phones?
May 4, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the exact same pair. I use them a lot for TV gaming connected to a Radio Shack 4.1 receiver. They're very comfortable, have a cord about 15 - 20' long and, I think, sound awesome. I think they're a great match for console gaming and even DVD viewing. Heck, I bet you that people who are into Techno will like them.

May 4, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 7
wallijonn, thanks for the info. While my expectations are not the highest, they still might be fun to listen to anyway. They have to be better sounding than the horrid late 60's-early 70's Sony DR-1C phones I bought off of ebay a few years ago.

May 12, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Just received the phones today. I was hoping that a date would be listed somewhere on the box (it's the original box), but it wasn't. The headband expands for larger heads, unlike the 770 pro's I sold recently. It has that classic Beyer sound, and plays almost as loudly as the 770 pros did, even though it is a 600 ohm phone. This phone isn't perfect, but I feel it can be tweaked into a really solid performer. I see a high quality litz wire replacement cable in it's future. I feel that if I can find a way to attach earpads, it will create a better seal, which in turn will produce stronger bass. I may also spray some auto rubber undercoat inside the earcups for better dampening.

May 13, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Pads may move the drivers back which may accentuate the bass to the detriment of the treble. You then may need to driven them from a low impedance output amp to make the treble come back. Is it worth it? I just use mine to play console games and DVD watching. I find that they have more than enough bass.

Now you got me thinking... I'll have to see what size the drivers are.

I always felt that Grado Driver housings can be put inside the DT440 housing for a more comfortable fit.
orphsmile.gif

BTW, if you have the DT880s, try swapping the headband pads. They felt more comfortable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back