Does anyone have Bluetooth devices?
Sep 17, 2002 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I just ordered a couple Bluetooth adapters to try them out. I've only been able to find two Bluetooth-enabled phones, both of them available only with wireless carriers that I would never use. So I guess for now I'll be using them for quick wireless data transfers
smily_headphones1.gif
But I'm trying to find some other Bluetooth devices to play around with. Anyone have any they've tried?

Sep 17, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 6
my dad has one of the new ericsson phones with color display and bluetooth ability. he has a wireless headset that can be used (supposedly) within 10 meters of the phone. that much seemed to work really well, but i don't know much about anything else.

this wireless stuff all seems very convenient, but i haven't seen any specs get anywhere near the speed of cat-5 (depends on what you need it for i supposed). i hope the new gadgets work out for you and be sure to tell us about them! (or review in the "other technologies" section
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 6
True, they have nowhere near the bandwidth of Ethernet, or even 802.11b. They simply provide a handy way to connect to things like Palms, cel phones, printers (all the big printer companies have announced Bluetooth-enabled printers), and even other computers. I'm going to try out the adapters with a couple laptops -- supposedly when used with Rendezvous, you can just plug them into the USB ports and the two laptops will auto-create a new network between them for copying files and printing
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 6
that sounds really cool, but again i can only see it as a limited and consumer-based market. apparently none of the engineers of bluetooth have ever seen a network print queue after a batch plotting of a few sets of plans in autocad.
very_evil_smiley.gif

our server has died many times in the past due to insufficient memory to handle it. i can only imagine the time it will take to transfer 100mb of printing data over bluetooth..

still sounds very convenient though.

"damn, this presentation is too big for a floppy. i guess i could burn a cd.."
- "just plug this in, you hapless techno-weenie."
"wow, that worked so easily!"

biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
that sounds really cool, but again i can only see it as a limited and consumer-based market. apparently none of the engineers of bluetooth have ever seen a network print queue after a batch plotting of a few sets of plans in autocad.
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL, very true! Printers and file transfers are definitely going to be limited by bandwidth. For consumer docs, like you say, it will probably be OK.

I think the area it's got the most potential is with synching devices: Palms, cel phones, etc., and with modem-based uses. If you have that Sony/Ericsson Bluetooth phone, you can dial-up your ISP through your cel phone without any wires or special add-on. If you have a Palm with a Bluetooth adapter, as long as you're within 30 feet of your computer (sitting on the couch, in the next office), you can just hit the Sync screen and sync up.

I'm just curious if it works as well as they say
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

"damn, this presentation is too big for a floppy. i guess i could burn a cd.."
- "just plug this in, you hapless techno-weenie."
"wow, that worked so easily!"

That's what I aim to find out. The adapters are tiny (not much bigger than a standard USB plug) so you can carry them with your laptop to create an instant wireless network.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I think the area it's got the most potential is with synching devices: Palms, cel phones, etc., and with modem-based uses. If you have that Sony/Ericsson Bluetooth phone, you can dial-up your ISP through your cel phone without any wires or special add-on. If you have a Palm with a Bluetooth adapter, as long as you're within 30 feet of your computer (sitting on the couch, in the next office), you can just hit the Sync screen and sync up.

I've heard people say that it works pretty well. Only the 30 feet is straight line distance with no obstructions.

I do own an Ericsson t39 and the newest headset. They work great. With voice dialing enabled, I can keep my phone in my bag and make and receive calls just with the headset. It's beautiful (aesthetically) too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back