Does anyone have an opinion on entry level headphones?
Jan 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

echozhaze

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones and several of my friends forked over money to buy beats, which is silly.  I'm looking for headphones that will match their quality, but I'm really looking for a lower frequency response because I listen to dubstep 24/7.  I would also like to not have to carry around an external amp.  I've read that if there is noise canceling, an extra amp is not necessary, so I've been looking at noise canceling headphones.  I'd also like to be in the 100-200 dollar price range.  I've looked at Grado, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio Technica, AKG, Denon, Bowers and Wilkins.

I found these in a yahoo answers post on good headphone brands
This post also stated that Bose are a ripoff as well as beats, so I only looked at them breifly.

I've been lead to Audio Technica's ATH-ANC7B, which is only $120 on amazon with fantastic technical specifications.  I would like to have your opinion on these headphones, if you can, and I'd like to hear some of your recommendations for me.  Thank you very much!

PS: I'd also like to say that I'm learning that I am a total audiophile, I've spent hours looking at headphones.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 21
At the risk of sounding like a tool, I'll put up the M50 as a recommendation, since you're looking for something that doesn't need an amp. I find that, while I don't prefer using them for rock or some instrumental music as much as my Grado SR80i and Senn HD 558, I think the M50's 'house' sound signature works amazingly with dubstep, and I prefer it over the others in my growing collection. The biggest thing is probably the impact and balance I feel when listening to them.

That said, I'm still a bit of a newbie, and people do get some flak for posting M50 recommendations, since it's usually the newer members, but just my 2 cents now that I'm able to compare them to some others.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 21
The M50s are a solid choice for most genres, especially dubstep. They have an inoffensive sound signature with slightly emphasized bass which works well for already bass heavy genres like dubstep. For cheaper, the Creative Aurvana Live is also a solid entry level that is a bit warmer and heavier on bass (than the newer M50s). They are both quite easy to drive.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I'll be putting in an order for some M50's soon. For home listening, I may consider grabbing an amp once I'm ready to upgrade. Anything you'd recommend on that end? Again, not an insane price, preferably. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I'll be putting in an order for some M50's soon. For home listening, I may consider grabbing an amp once I'm ready to upgrade. Anything you'd recommend on that end? Again, not an insane price, preferably. 

Before you go ordering the M50 you might want to check out the V-Moda Crossfade LP2. I do listen to some dub step and the LP2s work very well with the genre, as does electronic music in general. Some other things to consider, the size and weight of the M50 against the Crossfade LP2. The M50 weighs about 25 grams more than the V-Moda and are much bigger. The Crossfade LP2 also look cool and minimal. Is there anywhere local to you that you can go look and try these in-store?

If you buy them from the V-Moda web site they have a 60 day test drive option, so if you are not happy you can return them.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 21
For what you like, I'm going to support the M50 vote, however if you pick up a cheap amp the PRO700MK2's are like taking 2 subwoofers to the head. They're like what Beats what to be when they grow up. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of using them with non bassy music.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Try some Sony XB 1000...Great Starter Cans
beyersmile.png

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Try some Sony XB 1000...Great Starter Cans
beyersmile.png

XB1000 an entry level headphone??
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Before you go ordering the M50 you might want to check out the V-Moda Crossfade LP2. I do listen to some dub step and the LP2s work very well with the genre, as does electronic music in general. Some other things to consider, the size and weight of the M50 against the Crossfade LP2. The M50 weighs about 25 grams more than the V-Moda and are much bigger. The Crossfade LP2 also look cool and minimal. Is there anywhere local to you that you can go look and try these in-store?

If you buy them from the V-Moda web site they have a 60 day test drive option, so if you are not happy you can return them.

Omgosh I was lookin at this thread while I was in school and was hoping someone would mention V-Moda's. If you want to hear music like your friends, get the V-Modas, they can be classified as "beats with slightly better quality".
I have the M50's and i will tell you right now, the cable is either bulky or too long. Dubstep 24/7 definitely suits V-modas LP2's heavier then beats more IMO and it's quite a bit heavier.  If you really really care about sound quality, M50's are the way to go.
*edit also look into the on-ear V-moda M-80's. I like how they look, never heard them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back