Does anyone have a Roomba (Elite)?
Oct 27, 2004 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Being a batchelor slob, I'm giving serious consideration to one of these. I just wanted to know if anyone on this board has/uses one. Experiences? Problems?

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Being a batchelor slob, I'm giving serious consideration to one of these. I just wanted to know if anyone on this board has/uses one. Experiences? Problems?

I am considering one myself. The Discovery SE model, however. Here is a forum all about them...
icon10.gif

http://www.roombacommunity.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 15
We rip these up in university as part of our Robotics course...they work well but they arent very smart. Are they worth the money - hell yeah
cool.gif
Nothing beats having a robot working for you...braggability!!

Oct 27, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Amazing. A forum for everything... I'll have to read it in more detail. Thanks

Very Welcome!
cool.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't know if the new models have improved their "sucking" ability, but you will still need a decent non-robotic vacuum cleaner.

This things are good for maintenance cleanings and driving the dog crazy.
biggrin.gif

Of course you could spend a LOT more money and get a more powerful one like the Electrolux Trilobyte.

-Ed

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Don't waste your money. They don't work very well, especially if you have furniture - they don't go around it that well.

It's a gimmick

Yeah, a $250 gimmick... I've seen the commercials and I just don't think that product is ready for prime time yet. It's just not practical enough. It's too expensive for most people considering it probably only works well on bare floors (tile, wood, etc.) and maybe very short carpets. Plus the thing looks so tiny, there's no way it could hold a lot of dirt and I don't anticipate the suction being very strong.

I must admit the technology is interesting though. It has potential. First-gen products get the concept out there and from that point it can only be improved upon...

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 15
It works on a battery, how much power could it have? My grandma had one for a while, the only thing it really picked up was fibers it pulled out of her carpet.

It does seem like a really interesting idea, though. Don't they have something like this that will clean swimming pools? It would be even better if they made one that would mow the lawn.

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
It works on a battery, how much power could it have? My grandma had one for a while, the only thing it really picked up was fibers it pulled out of her carpet.

It does seem like a really interesting idea, though. Don't they have something like this that will clean swimming pools? It would be even better if they made one that would mow the lawn.

Remote lawn mowers? Yep! They have them! A friend of mine's neighbor has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back