Does anyone have a problem with balance in L/R channels in IEMs?
Aug 30, 2005 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xand1x

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings head-fi community,

I am a new member and because of this I have been doing alot of research in reference towards building a good portable setup. What I've read throughout the forums has lead me to purchase a set of Westone UM2 IEM's, an Ipod 60GB 4G, and a pocketamp 2v2. I am really happy with this setup, however, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions in regards to left and right channels of IEMs based on my listening experience. Throughout the past few weeks it appears that the right channel of my IEM has a significantly larger amount of bass than the left. I have tried to determine whether this is a problem with the left driver itself but I wholeheartedly doubt it; because, this feeling of excessive bass in the right channel appears to be directed more towards the "in your head sound" that IEM's create. I would assume based on this experience that I might not be getting a proper seal in my left ear canal, but there may also be other variables. BTW: I am currently using modified Shuge Tri-Flanges ("Bi-Flanges now")

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Yeah, I would suggestion you test by going back to the comply tip. As I find the tri-flange thing is harder to get seals. And it is normal that people have different shapes of ear canals. It might even happen if you get the seals; however, one ear shape gives your better accoustic sound than the other. I find my left ear always gives me better accoustic, so I have to purposefully make my left ear less sealed in order to achieve a balanced sound when I use tri-flange. I do not need to do that when I use short comply tip.

I am thinking custom IEM now.

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah I cant imagine how great the UM56 would sound with UM2s
biggrin.gif
but I cant find an audiologist in toronto, canada maybe someone on the forums might know?!
eek.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
biggrin.gif
but I cant find an audiologist in toronto, canada maybe someone on the forums might know?!
eek.gif

Oops. I only know audiologist in BC, Canada. if you really going to get it, maybe send an email to westone, I pretty sure they will try to find you one in Toronto.

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Most of the time, any IEM I use has the sound skewed to the right. The Etys with tri-flanges are the most centered, while the Shures are the worst offenders. After careful fiddling with both left and right earpieces, I can usually center the sound pretty much. I know for a fact each of my canals is shaped quite differently, so I attribute the imbalance to this.
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 10
the shure E2 from what I remember used to be right at the center...no problems there. I also never had issues with the E5 or UM2. Etys have always been an issue for me...always skewed to the right on the ER4 and ER6i. The ER6 I find it to be the most centered of all. The Super.Fi 5 Pro usually has it in the middle. I think that it has to do with seal and ear canal shape. In the etys case it could also be due to a dirty filter that needs to be replaced. In the case of the shures, UM2, and SF5P you may have to clean the earwax out using the loop.

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

biggrin.gif
eek.gif

phuh
tongue.gif
why consider a universal -> custom tip while the same company makes real custom iem's?

When I bought my ES2's I already owned the UM2's with a pack of comply tips, I thought about getting the UM56's but then remembered that I would go and buy the ES2's eventualy. I have never regret that I skipped the UM56's, just wished I bought these babies to begin with
wink.gif
Not saying the UM2's are bad, but they are worse
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 10
I would most definately consider purchasing the ES2, however, my wallet = drained
tongue.gif
(thnx headfi
wink.gif
) the only thing that i may consider upgrading in this portable setup is moulds for the IEM and maybe another amp (portaphile/supermacro3/ae-1/sr-71) as a step up from the pocketamp. Oh by the way, how much are ES2's going for nowadays?

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I would most definately consider purchasing the ES2, however, my wallet = drained
tongue.gif
(thnx headfi
wink.gif
) the only thing that i may consider upgrading in this portable setup is moulds for the IEM and maybe another amp (portaphile/supermacro3/ae-1/sr-71) as a step up from the pocketamp. Oh by the way, how much are ES2's going for nowadays?

$799 CAD without impression and shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back