Does anyone have a Creative x-fi notebook
Jul 6, 2010 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mcnoiserdc

1000+ Head-Fier
hi!

Does anyone here have creative x-fi notebook?
I am asking because I need to know a detail before pulling the plug.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 15
What exactly do you want to know?  It's not a real X-Fi device, offering only software processing.  It's also fairly dull musically, being beaten easily by a uDAC, and by the Echo Indigo DJx (if you need an expresscard device).

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 15
I have one, what would you like to know bout it? assuming I can answer it of course. lol

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 15
I want to know about Dolby digital decode, if it can decode dolby digital in through optical in.
I have a creative audigy zs 2 notebook and it works that way. I am almost sure the x-fi won't do it.
I am talking about the creative x-fi notebook xtreme audio

Quote:
I have one, what would you like to know bout it? assuming I can answer it of course. lol

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
I want to know about Dolby digital decode, if it can decode dolby digital in through optical in.
I have a creative audigy zs 2 notebook and it works that way. I am almost sure the x-fi won't do it.
I am talking about the creative x-fi notebook xtreme audio

I can't be certain, I vaguely remember my box showing that, but then again, I have Vista which doesn't support it though the movie player itself might. http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=26947 not sure if the link helps answer anything. my box is hidden away somewhere unfortunately and I don't use the optical in. I myself am wondering if I can use the optical out to a desktop DAC and bypass the x-fi card since I don't have S/PDIF out on my laptop and I can't even figure out if they made Vista 24/96 compatible or if it is still crappy 24/48 lol

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 15
well you can use it for that, I am pretty sure. it is 24/96.
The optical out I know works, the optical in is where I doubt as someone has stated it may have only software processing.
I am looking forward to it, as I am using a creative audigy 2 zs optical to decode the xbox signal and give me cmss-3d virtual surround to headphones, as it is much easier to distinguish between front and rear with cmss 3d than dolby headphones.
Problem is I use an adapter pcmcia to express card as my computer doesn't have the old pcmcia slot.

Quote:

I can't be certain, I vaguely remember my box showing that, but then again, I have Vista which doesn't support it though the movie player itself might. http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=26947 not sure if the link helps answer anything. my box is hidden away somewhere unfortunately and I don't use the optical in. I myself am wondering if I can use the optical out to a desktop DAC and bypass the x-fi card since I don't have S/PDIF out on my laptop and I can't even figure out if they made Vista 24/96 compatible or if it is still crappy 24/48 lol

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
well you can use it for that, I am pretty sure. it is 24/96.
The optical out I know works, the optical in is where I doubt as someone has stated it may have only software processing.
I am looking forward to it, as I am using a creative audigy 2 zs optical to decode the xbox signal and give me cmss-3d virtual surround to headphones, as it is much easier to distinguish between front and rear with cmss 3d than dolby headphones.
Problem is I use an adapter pcmcia to express card as my computer doesn't have the old pcmcia slot.

all of the SPDIF out is 24/96 except Vista lol unless they updated it in the 2009 driver but I can't get a log of what the update did so I have no clue if they actually changed Vista's compatibility.

the bottom part of the link has a section on "Decoding SPDIF-IN Dolby Digital or DTS Signals from an external source" but I think it will just be more of the same of the Audigy. I'm half awake now just waiting for the football to start so pardon my incoherence/lack of competence lol.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 15
do you have a ps3 or a xbox 360?

Quote:

all of the SPDIF out is 24/96 except Vista lol unless they updated it in the 2009 driver but I can't get a log of what the update did so I have no clue if they actually changed Vista's compatibility.

the bottom part of the link has a section on "Decoding SPDIF-IN Dolby Digital or DTS Signals from an external source" but I think it will just be more of the same of the Audigy. I'm half awake now just waiting for the football to start so pardon my incoherence/lack of competence lol.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Jul 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 15
Well you could do me a favor and connect the optical áudio from tour console to tour x-fi to see if it decides

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Well you could do me a favor and connect the optical áudio from tour console to tour x-fi to see if it decides

heh. I knew that was coming
beyersmile.png

we are talking about this unit I hope: http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blaster-Xtreme-Notebook-Refurbished/dp/B002ZAYHD4/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

I have the normal optical cable, but I don't have the optical cable to connect it into the X-fi. I'll see if I have time tomorrow to head into town and search for one to pick up and see if I can help you out

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 15
Lol thanks.it is. One more reason for you to go get it, as you need it.
Have you checked the unofficial drivers by Daniel k for creative? They may help

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Lol thanks.it is. One more reason for you to go get it, as you need it.
Have you checked the unofficial drivers by Daniel k for creative? They may help

I'll have a look. no guarantees that I'll be able to pick up the cable by the way. But the one issue is that I'm currently using Vista so I won't be able to test Dolby decoding I think; on a side note, I'm wondering if I should just pick up a mini-toslink adapter since I already have optical cables. I just ain't sure if there are any transmission issues

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 15
well I have a mini-toslink adapter and it works great.
well with Daniel_K drivers everything that was impossible on Vista is now possible, lol

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
well I have a mini-toslink adapter and it works great.
well with Daniel_K drivers everything that was impossible on Vista is now possible, lol

I'm ordering the cable online since the local stores don't sell an adapter only and their prices are stupid.

lol. I'm a tad lazy to search the drivers out. do you happen to have a link? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back