Does anyone have a Canon G3 here?
Mar 9, 2003 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ctn

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering if anyone else has a Canon G3 or G1/G2.

What accessories do you have?
What would you recommend getting?

I got a skylight and circ polariser so far.

Picture quality is pretty good.

Mar 9, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 13
I have a G2 and it's capable of making some great pics. It's still not film... but it's very good and so damn convienient. I love being able to shoot like a crazy man and then just erase them! Instead of wasting $75 bucks processing crappy pics. I think the Canon's are very good. I did a lot of researching. But as someone pointed out - it's all about TAKING A GOOD pic. The right light, compostion, focus. I take dozens and dozens and dozens of mediore pics and begin thinking "This camera sucks" then one will suddenly pop up that's great, slapping me back to reality and the fact that it's UP TO YOU to take a good picture.

I didn't buy any accessories - except for more memory cards. Just a carrying bag.When you add filters you need to put a non-retracting barrel over the lens, right? That's why I didn't go with filters. I like the fact that it's nice and small and looks like a cheap pocket camera (non-theft atrracting). I have the black model. A skylight for protection and a polarizing filter is about all you need. Really not much need for other filters. Photoshop!

PS: My only real bitch is that they released the G3 only four months after I sprang for $800 for the G2! Cameras enter the ever upgrading world of electronics and computers.
mad.gif
I think I like the old days better when things didn't improve so quickly. If you owned a 30-year old Leica lens you at least had the comfort that no one had ever really improved on it!

Mar 9, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the reply chadbang.

The best pics I end up taking with the G3 is mainly macro shots.
They always come out perfect.

With normal shots, they seem just mediore.

Can you post the great shot you took
smily_headphones1.gif
if its not too much trouble.

The 58mm filters need the 58mm adapter. I got the Canon adapter. The same one used for attaching the tele/wide/macro lens.

The adapter looks abit like this.
http://www.lensmateonline.com/g3.html

The G3 didnt exactely look cheap, though it didnt look uber expensive either. My bro is always teasing me about it.

Yeah I know how you feel
frown.gif
after I got it...I heard someone say 5MP G4...
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 13
yes. I notice the macro shots are also stunning on mine. Hm, when I figure out which cd I burned my good pics on and where to post them, I'll pm you Ctn.

Mar 9, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 13
I have a G1. By ALL means, do yourself a favor for this great camera and get a proper flash for it. I bought the mid-priced Canon 420EX for mine, and it has made a world of a difference to flashed shots. The range is so much better and the brighter flash eliminates red-eye and shadows completely.

I would also recommend a polarizer for outdoor sunshine--produces great colors in conditions that would ordinarily give you washed out ones.

Enjoy your camera--it's a good one, and if you learn to use it's features well, can compete with pictures taken with far more expensive cameras.

Mar 10, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks chadbang. I look forward to seeing it.

Kewl dparrish, I was thinking of either a 220ex or a 420ex.
Do you think the 420ex is worth the price difference?

Mar 10, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 13
I'll trust your judgement
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems that most G3 users also have the 420ex flash. Seldom do they have the 220ex.

Might try out the 420ex on the weekend and see what it's like.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 13
HOLY COW...I just go the 420ex flash for my G3. It turned a good camera into a great camera. Lighting is surperb and dunno why but images are razor sharp now
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 13
CTn, sorry i haven't posted that pic yet. I've been really busy moving my family around. I think a big reason the flash helps is that slow shutter speeds are what kill many of my pics. The lens isn't that fast and the auto and program modes seem to lean toward exposure and chosing slower shutter speeds. I think that''s why I'm disappointed alot, because I'm shooting indoors and the slow shuttter speeds are giving me non-focused (or rather blurred) shots.

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi

You should of taken your time
smily_headphones1.gif

I got your PM btw.

Thanks!

Thats a pretty nice shot. I havent tried taking any outdoor shots with the flash yet but will soon.

Do you wanna see a few close up shots?
I was suprised how good it turned out. One of the 1st pics I took.

Mar 18, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 13
The thing that bites is that the auto focus assist beam doesnt work
frown.gif
on the G3. and the onboard G3 beam is partially blocked from the converters
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back