Does anyone get stomachaches from artificial sweeteners?
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #16 of 26
Thought I would try and clear somethings up.
Artifical sweetners for the most part are chemically designed to imitate other sugars(fructose,glucose etc.). Your body cannot recognize the difference in these sugars so you recieve the same characteristics when digested(atp energy etc). They are isomers or mere images of each other like your right and left hand. That being said however your body doesent know how to deal with them when they have severed there "purpose," it merely excrets them. Which is why everywhere you look says tthere are no know side effects now.

Now aspartamine is not unnatural and can be found in certian fruits for example like bananas. It does break down into formic acid and formaldehyde(which we readily drink in beer
smily_headphones1.gif
). These acids are used in part by our digestion to break apart proteins into simple amino acids.

All that rambling being said I dont use artificial sweetners(i am young). They are effective thus far though.

edit: other beers can have formic acid as well of course this is trivial and inconsiquential but informative
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #17 of 26
The chemist, I realize that aspartame is the methyl ester of aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and that sucralose is chlorinated sucrose, but my organic chemistry teacher said that if consumed in "heavy" quantities, these sweeteners can cause your digestive system to go bonkers. However after very light consumption my stomach hurts? Just a thought...

Now, I don't think they are isomers of natural substances.

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
The chemist, I realize that aspartame is the methyl ester of aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and that sucralose is chlorinated sucrose, but my organic chemistry teacher said that if consumed in "heavy" quantities, these sweeteners can cause your digestive system to go bonkers. However after very light consumption my stomach hurts? Just a thought...

Now, I don't think they are isomers of natural substances.

Phenylalanine...methel esters...HS Chem--NOOOOOO!!!

...Must....resist....
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 26
lol...this science is practically my career path, so I don't mind
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist
Now aspartamine is not unnatural and can be found in certian fruits for example like bananas. It does break down into formic acid and formaldehyde(which we readily drink in beer
smily_headphones1.gif
). These acids are used in part by our digestion to break apart proteins into simple amino acids.

Hey! That's what I said!
340smile.gif

Bolded by me for emphasis
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist
These acids are used in part by our digestion to break apart proteins into simple amino acids.

This is not true; formic acid <--> formaldehyde are natural by-products of cellular metabolism. The only acid used in the digestive system is hydrochloric acid in the stomach, but most of food digestion occurs in the small intestine, which is at an alkaline/basic environment (pH ~8.5).

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

This is not true; formic acid <--> formaldehyde are natural by-products of cellular metabolism. The only acid used in the digestive system is hydrochloric acid in the stomach, but most of food digestion occurs in the small intestine, which is at an alkaline/basic environment (pH ~8.5).

Must....resist.... you're making my nerdy med school identity want to come out... no!!!

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
Must....resist.... you're making my nerdy med school identity want to come out... no!!!

lol...did I say something incorrectly?

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

lol...did I say something incorrectly?

Haha, Not at all! I just can't help getting into scientific discussions sometimes with my college buddies. But I'm here to talk headphones, so I'll stick to that. Haha.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 26
------------->
|||||
0 0
<
O

(right over my head!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back