Does anyone find the IPOD too bright ?
Feb 6, 2004 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
any finding the ipod too bright / tinny?

i use it with my SR80s and it pierces my ears!!!

it doesnt happen when i listen to stuff on my iriver cdplayer, or thru mp3s on my desktop....

whats with this crappy deal, apple?

i've resorted to listening with the "treble reducing" eq setting....

bleah.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 12
I find using lower bitrates results in a tinny and "thin" sound which can sound quite "peircing" at times. Try experimenting with higher bitrate MP3's, AIFF and WAV's etc. I use WAV's mostly and I find the iPod flat is very nice and smooth sounding, however the EQ doesn't seem up to much..

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Hmm.. nope.. I don't think many people find iPod bright at all.. most people actually find iPod's output relatively flat and pretty close to neutral. It's probably the closest to an "audiophile" output out of most HD players.

However, if you've encoded your MP3 in low bitrates, or had "low pass filter" turned on... you might have filtered out the low frequencies.

SR-80 is probably revealing the deficiency of the MP3 file format.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 12
No. I found my 2nd gen iPod pretty flat.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Some have in the past called the iPod a tad bright. One member recommended an amp solely to calm this down. So you're not the first. Others find the iPod one of the more neutral portables and depending on their preferences may even prefer something more lively. I had the SR80/iPod combo and didn't find the match problematic (but was comparing them against a V6/iPod pairing... and that phones high problems... so that's not really saying much). But without knowing your other sources, etc. I have to say it's more likely your SR80s are bright, which as phones go they really are.

Feb 6, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Pairing different headphones with the iPod, I find it on the bright/thin side of the audio spectrum. But "too bright"? Naw. I mean, with bright headphones like the ER-6 or V6 I think it's accentuated and it's going to bug you, but I think my KSC-35's really match wonderfully with my iPod. They're not bright and have plenty of bass (though I wish the mids were more prominant...that's the KSC-35's fault though, not the iPod's). Synergy I guess. Maybe the iPod is just neutral and naturally bright headphones just sound that way because that's how they are
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by darkfusion
I find using lower bitrates results in a tinny and "thin" sound which can sound quite "peircing" at times. Try experimenting with higher bitrate MP3's, AIFF and WAV's etc. I use WAV's mostly and I find the iPod flat is very nice and smooth sounding, however the EQ doesn't seem up to much..

ditto on my 3rd gen

Feb 7, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by jpo245
hmm, u guyz r all rite.. i think its just my mp3 encoding...

my dvd-As sound brilliant

Hm, was waiting for someone to ask: what did you mean by the last line?

No problems here. My iPod is brighter overall than my Zen, but only very mildly and in an agreeable, peppy sort of way. By comparison, the Zen has a boosted upper treble which can be piercing with the wrong music and system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back