Does anybody like the D2000 more than the D5000?
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Oteil

500+ Head-Fier
I received a D5000 for Christmas this year and I have had the D2000 for little over a year and a half. I beginning to think I am crazy, I really am preferring the 2000 right now. The sound stage is not as big as the 5000 but the sound is just not as "fun". Don't get me wrong I love both, but I can't believe I am saying that I prefer the cheaper one:) I guess I might need to give a little more time to burn in( I don't take too much stock in burn in) but the D2000 are also just so much more comfortable as well(of course they are broken in and nice and soft).  At least at this point I am not convinced it was worth the upgrade. I am sure someone will tell me that I should have gotten the D7000. I will definitely give a listen to one before even considering a purchase.

P.S. I don't find the bass to be muddy and bloated on the D5000, at least at this point.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 25
Not yet:) But I might take you up on that offer a little later
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 25
Yes I find the D2000 smoother.  The charts look almost identical!  The aesthetics of the D5000 are a bit better, but when I am at home I do not mind.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2891&graphID[]=283

Distortion Curves ( the D5000 in this test was much worse than the other two )

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2891&graphID[]=283

The D5000 does appear to not have as much decay both in the 50Hz and 500Hz square wave response which could lend itself to better harmonic presentation, but the distortion appears to be the dominate factor there.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 25
The D2000 seems to have a flatter measurement than the D5000 on Innerfidelity. Doesn't surprise me that you find it to sound better.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 25
Heya,

Nope. D5000 all the way. I have both too.

The D5000 has the mids and warmth that the D2000 lacks. Also, the D2000 and D5000 are the same headphone. They just have a different cap and a cable upgrade. The D2000 has less mids. The D5000 has a touch more bass, more mids, and the treble is about the same. They use the same chasis and pads, so comfort should be identical if they've received the same head time. So while the D2000 has some slightly recession in mids, the D5000 does not, it's the more linear headphone to me, with a slight emphasis on bass. If you prefer the D2000, you probably like more "V" shape sounds anyways. They're otherwise very similar, again, because they're the same headphone.

Frequency charts are pretty much not worth trying to reason with.

Very best,

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:
Frequency charts are pretty much not worth trying to reason with.

So, it's not worth reasoning with hard, objective, unbiased data? I understand that everyone has different ears, brains, and sound signature preferences, but what you just said doesn't make very much sense.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

So, it's not worth reasoning with hard, objective, unbiased data? I understand that everyone has different ears, brains, and sound signature preferences, but what you just said doesn't make very much sense.

Well the thing is hans the charts aren't always free of human error and mechanical error for that matter. The graph on the EX1000 would be a very good example of this were the charts are wrong due to most people loving the sound. The charts say they are sibilant monsters while most will disagree with this. I'll trust my ears over any chart for that matter.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

Many charts do not sound like what they read. They're not hard, objective, unbiased data. They're very biased. They're recorded differently and made differently. That's why charts don't even perfectly match from site to site that displays them. And again, many charts don't sound anything like what their chart says it should. Not just one or two. Many. What doesn't make sense is when people talk about specific headphones that they've never heard but will talk about them like they know what they sound like because they looked at a frequency response graph and are suddenly experienced and knowledgeable about a headphone. That doesn't make sense.

Very best,

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 25
Neither "judge" of sound is perfect. Measurements aren't perfect, and neither are human ears and brains. Both have their pros and cons. I tend to hear what measurements say, but not always. I am very aware of the value a personal opinion offers over measurements. I can say the same about measurements over personal opinion. Both are very valuable, many times in combination with each other. As such, saying "frequency charts are pretty much not worth trying to reason with" is a bit unreasonable in itself.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Neither "judge" of sound is perfect. Measurements aren't perfect, and neither are human ears and brains. Both have their pros and cons. I tend to hear what measurements say, but not always. I am very aware of the value a personal opinion offers over measurements. I can say the same about measurements over personal opinion. Both are very valuable, many times in combination with each other. As such, saying "frequency charts are pretty much not worth trying to reason with" is a bit unreasonable in itself.

I have to agree with both sides. While charts can be a good indication of how a heaphone/IEM should sound its not 100% guaranteed regardless. And of course the same thing applies to our own subjective opinions. Coincidentally what I heard in the EX1000 matched the graphs to a "T". But I am the minority in this. Food for thought...

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
The D5000 has the mids and warmth that the D2000 lacks. Also, the D2000 and D5000 are the same headphone. They just have a different cap and a cable upgrade. The D2000 has less mids. The D5000 has a touch more bass, more mids, and the treble is about the same. They use the same chasis and pads, so comfort should be identical if they've received the same head time. So while the D2000 has some slightly recession in mids, the D5000 does not, it's the more linear headphone to me, with a slight emphasis on bass. If you prefer the D2000, you probably like more "V" shape sounds anyways. They're otherwise very similar, again, because they're the same headphone.

I would mostly agree with this, but I don't think the treble is the same. The high end is much more sparkly on the 2000 than the 5000.The bass is obviously better and the mids are more pronounced on the 5000 but I don't think that it is really much better especially for the money. Maybe I do prefer a more "v" shaped curve but I love my Grados. It is hard for me to believe that the only difference between the 2000 and 5000 is the cups are wood and the cable is better, but that very well may be the case. MalVeaux, did you think your 5000's were better than 2000's from the first day you got them?

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #14 of 25
I own both as well and I think that the 5000s sound better after time then the 2000s. I thought the same thing when I first got the 5000s then I realized that I needed to burn them in, or just get used to the change, one or the other. But now I tend to favor the 5000s much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back