Does anybody have an opinion to share?
Mar 13, 2004 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tbuddha

New Head-Fier
I'm putting together a small headphone-only system for listening in my office. I'm getting Sennheiser HD595s, and at first will be listening to a portable CD player through a Total Airhead.

Here's my question. I will want to upgrade my source, then probably upgrade the amp later. I have no TV in the office. No speakers either.

I was at first leaning toward a souped up CD player like the AH! Njoe Tjoeb, but currently I'm leaning toward a universal DVD player, or at least something that will play red book CDs and also two channel SACD.

Of course, less money is better. I certainly want to stay well under $1K. Also, smaller is better.

Can anyone give me suggestions?

Mar 14, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 3
There is that 'hot' Toshiba player that is doing the rounds at the moment, I can't remember the model number of it right now, but its being discussed in a few threads here at the moment...

A couple of the members here have plucked up the courage and gone out and bought one... hopefully their opinions will be favourable
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 3
I suggest the Philips 963 sa modded by sacdmods, should cost around $825, and has great sound on any scale; even with cd's. The 963sa plays cd/cd-r/sacd and dvd video and it has a very manageable size. It also has a digital out if you wanted to use the 963sa as a transport for another dac. I doubt you would though, as there is no dac I know of thats better sounding thats not considerably more costly than the player itself. I swear these sacdmods players with zap filter output stages are incredibly good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back