Does an MP3 player with these specs exist?
Mar 21, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davei

500+ Head-Fier
I know I'm asking for a lot, so someone tell me if my search will be fruitless. I'm looking for a simple player that will only be used to listen to 24k MP3 encoded talk radio shows. No music (or rarely music), so (gasp!) sound quality is not a prime concern. Requirements:

- 512MB flash based - could live with 256MB though
- screen would be nice but not necessary
- AAA battery, or easily replaceable battery, failing that, 10+ hour battery life
- drag and drop file support (no software required)
- can fast forward and reverse through a track and pickup from where a track was stopped (a must with 2-6 hour files)
- nothing no-name brand or junk only found on eBay
- less than $100, or even better, less than $75

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei
- can fast forward and reverse through a track and pickup from where a track was stopped (a must with 2-6 hour files)

I not so sure about the newer players, but from my experience with some of the older DAPs, once you stopped they will always read from the beginning of the file...only players that can resume from a stopped position are the mechanical ones like CD/MD players as the lens head is usually left at the last read position, with even then can be switched off(resume function)...

this is in my experience with older players and CD players...havent upgraded source for a looong time...

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

I know I'm asking for a lot, so someone tell me if my search will be fruitless. I'm looking for a simple player that will only be used to listen to 24k MP3 encoded talk radio shows. No music (or rarely music), so (gasp!) sound quality is not a prime concern. Requirements:

- 512MB flash based - could live with 256MB though
- screen would be nice but not necessary
- AAA battery, or easily replaceable battery, failing that, 10+ hour battery life
- drag and drop file support (no software required)
- nothing no-name brand or junk only found on eBay
- less than $100, or even better, less than $75

iRiver's older or cheaper stuff may be what you're looking for. Their entire iFP line would do the job. Only problem is that most of the models aren't in production anymore and their current models suck compared to their iFP line. Take a look on iRiver.com for iFP-1xx, '3xx, '7xx, and '8xx series. I believe those use AA batteries and do not require its own charger. All of iRiver's stuff can resume from the middle of a file and has adjustable FF/REW speed within a file (though it still isn't fast enough on the highest settings: 6x / go through 70 seconds of audio each second). On some of the flash players (I believe the iFP-7xx and '8xx series), newer firmware expands the Study Mode up to 180 seconds, so you can use buttons (or levers?) to jump forward or backward in three-minute increments.

Let us know how it all works out...

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 8
The iAudio5 fits your description as well.

-It's powered by a single AAA (up to 20 hours per battery);
-it's a UMS device (means drag and drop);
-has a nice screen (which also has very nice colors, which you can change your self);
-you can bookmark your files;
-it plays mp3, ogg vorbis, and more;
-and on top of that you get a fm radio and voice and line-in recording.

AND the sound quality rocks as well
eggosmile.gif
, so if you decide to use it with music files as well, it does a very good job at that, too.

btw: Quote:

24k MP3 encoded talk radio shows

can i say Howard Stern..................

newegg has the 512mb for 89.99$

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 8
the creative muvo series nx/tx/tx fm and zen nano plus also does all this, but the cowon recommended has better sound quality but that isn't a concern for you

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Mar 22, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I know I can always get the straight dope from all the junkies here
smily_headphones1.gif
Looks like an iAudio 5 is in my future. I'll let everyone know how things turn out.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 8
If not, the trusty old N200 nearly fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back