Does an equalizer degrade sound quality?
May 30, 2006 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Also, if you end up getting a really good amp and headphone, does an equalizer distort the clarity or purity of the sound? Making it somewhat less transparent?

Also, I feel that sometimes I may need an eq because sometimes I listen to audience recordings of live concerts where the tapers tape shows with their own recording devices and there may be too much bass or treble in the flawed recording.

As I plan on improvimg my rig in the future, I am just wondering.

May 30, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 11
The equalizer in your sig? Yes. It will reduce the quality of a good source, and you should be able to hear the difference in a high transparency rig.
The benefits of equalizing may outweigh the downside of loss of transparency for some kinds of music, including the live tapings that you describe, which aren't exactly high quality.
There are some equalization setups that have a minimal impact on SQ - generally in all digital setups. For people using PCs as sources to feed a DAC, for example, you could use a high quality upsampler, upsample to 24/96, equalize using a high quality software equalizer and then output the equalized 24/96 PCM stream to a good DAC. Using high quality stuff requires a fairly stout PC.
You could also achieve the same sort of thing with a high quality external digital equalizer, sometimes used in high end speaker rigs as an outboard crossover, for example.

May 30, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 11
looking at the source and amp in your sig, i'd say the eq isn't going to do much damage to the SQ you'll be getting from that particular rig, so feel free to jack up the bass on the eq to compensate, muahaha!
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 11
So long as EQ-ing does not increase distortion, degrade the soundstage, reduce clarity, or grossly exagerate frequency bands.. It can be done with very good results.

EQ-ing done dramatically in an effort to band-aid sonic defficiencies in a system is usually a bad idea. It typically clips the signal and/or degrades image and sound quality, to the point of diminishing returns.

Garrett

May 30, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 11
Adding anything to the signal path will degrade the purity of the signal. The question is.. does the component provide benefits which outweight degrading the signal purity? This little question is fairly easy to judge by plugging the component in and deciding if you like the sound better or not!

So just plug your EQ in, have a listen to it for a while and decide if you like it. After having it like that for a while (like at least a week), remove the EQ and listen for a week again without it. Then add the EQ again and decide if you prefer it or not. If you prefer it, then keep the EQ. if not, then ditch it

too easy!

May 30, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 11
Adding anything to the signal path will degrade the sound quality relative to the parts and implementation of the things you add. You can never add the original sound, only take away.

Nevertheless, EQing can improve the perceived audio quality by making up for weaknesses and lack of synergy in your system and the way it interacts with your ears and brain.

Basically if it sounds better to you with EQ, then it is better and you need no more justification than that for using it.

May 30, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Agreed. I have no problem tweaking sound to my likings.
Normally, I would spend some time without EQ just to get used to the "basic signature" of the equipment, then make some where I think it would benefit from the way I hear the music.

May 30, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Using a "Y-splitter" coming off my CD player I connect the CD player with the amplifier using 2 input channels. The CD input is the line without the Equalizer. The Aux input to the amp has the Equalizer between the CD palyer and the amp. Using this approach you are able to conduct an A/B design comparison. My system's signature can be heavy in the mid bass on certain recordings. I adjust the equalizer accordingly and use the AUX input selection on those recordings. I find with the setttings flat on the equalizer I do not hear much of a difference between the CD and Aux sound. My system is prettty revealing (Sony 333 ES CD player, Thule IA 350B amp, VerraStar interconnects and speaker cables, and Talon Khorous XII speakers). Based on these data I say go for the use of a equalizer if you subjectively feel that it improves your enjoyment of the music.

May 30, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 11
To be truthful, I actually don't like equalizers. I'm lazy and woulld prefer to just put the cd in and push play. It's what I mosty do anyway. But thanks for all your great info!

May 31, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
To be truthful, I actually don't like equalizers. I'm lazy and woulld prefer to just put the cd in and push play. It's what I mosty do anyway. But thanks for all your great info!

I'm fond of the set it and forget it approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back