Does an Audio interface help with sound quality?
Mar 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

slowth

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the very noob question.. haven't touched such tech topics in years.. but my SuperPro USB dac just died on me and now i'm exploring other options.

1) of cos the 1st option is to just get another USB DAC.I've been off the market so long I don't know what's out there anymore.. budget's in the 100+ range and I guess I could just get the superpro DAC again and live all happily.

or any other USB dac in that price range to suggest?

2) I'm also thinking perhaps gettin an audio interface. I play acoustic guitar alot and sometimes I do recordings. I sometimes record via a USB mic which isn't all that great, or direct through a guitar preamp.
I'm thinking a USB audio interface would keep it convenient when say recording with mic or the preamp, I'm sure it'd be better than via my mac?

Now this is totally new to me so bear with me please.. recording quality wise, would going thru an audio interface into my mac better the sound quality than just plugging direct into my mac audio jack? I've no idea about sound transmission etc so I dont' know if perhaps the components in the interface would be better.

Also if just for during pure listening, would an interface have the DAC components to make it as good as standalone DACs? How could I get back to that kind of sound quality and still have the versatility of an interface.
Any to recommend?

thanks all so much!

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 3
There are lots of small interfaces for computer recording. FireWire and USB type connections are available, as well as microphone and instrument preamps, and line outputs (DAC) as well as headphone outputs.

If your recording computer is a Mac, then you will have to find an interface with good drivers for that operating system.

M-Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back