Does an amp improve high impedance headphones?
Apr 16, 2020 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mogwai78

New Head-Fier
Hi there !!

I want to buy a Beyerdynamic DT-990 (250omh), a Fiio A5 amp and a Cowon Plenue D2.

Beside to make work a high impedance headphones, is there any improvement in terms of sound??

Cause I've read there's some remarkable improvement but I also read the contrary...so, I'm quite confused about it.

Can someone tell me if there's a real difference or I can forget the amp and buy a headphones of low impedance and go with it.

Thanks in advance !!!

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi there !!

I want to buy a Beyerdynamic DT-990 (250omh), a Fiio A5 amp and a Cowon Plenue D2.

Beside to make work a high impedance headphones, is there any improvement in terms of sound??

Cause I've read there's some remarkable improvement but I also read the contrary...so, I'm quite confused about it.

Can someone tell me if there's a real difference or I can forget the amp and buy a headphones of low impedance and go with it.

Thanks in advance !!!
With those DAPs, probably not since high impedance headphones really don't require output impedance to be so low. You probably get about the same level of performance driving out of a PC's headphone out as it's likely they got stronger amping on the PCs. Noise is not much of issue due to the high impedance of the headphone.

I never found Beyers to really improve with tubes like Sennheiser, so I assume they perform better with solid-state amps.

I find only usage cases for DAPs are iems and if you are on the go, perhaps headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi there !!
I want to buy a Beyerdynamic DT-990 (250-Ohm), a Fiio A5 amp and a Cowon Plenue D2.
Thanks in advance !!!
The DT990 250-Ohm are not really power demanding, but for portable audio devices, better to get lower impedance headphones.
Combine your DT990 and A5 budget and just get headphones.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, or for more bass ATH-ES99.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 4
The DT990 250-Ohm are not really power demanding, but for portable audio devices, better to get lower impedance headphones.
Combine your DT990 and A5 budget and just get headphones.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, or for more bass ATH-ES99.
Many thanks for your response!!

Could you recommend me other over ear headphones please?? These are currently unavailable.

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back