Does Amy Winehouse get on your nerves?
Sep 10, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I told you that you could get that sound without a scrawny brit but instead with a thick american? Would you believe me?

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7nV...elated&search=

they only played on Rehab right? i know she used them as her backing band for some live shows - which i'd liked to hear. i think they are the main reason Back To Black is so much better than Frank.

I love Back to Black because it's so obviously fake and produced, but i mean money sounds really good at times.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #62 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here ya go: Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good.

Yeahh, makes me wonder how someone can get on my nerves with being boring Jeezzzz.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

Man... Am. I. Out. Of. The. Loop.

Not really 'out of the loop'...just wise enough to be unconcerned with all the celebrity b******* the media tries to feed you
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #66 of 69
I wonder how many of you who said "sounds like fingernails down a chalkboard" are actually saying that literally?

Really, her album is one of the worst engineered albums I have ever heard, but i think she has a great voice.

What were her sound engineers thinking? Hurts my ears to listen to it on any kind of revealing setup. Best listened to in the car
smily_headphones1.gif

And I can confirm, the LP is just as bad as the CD.

There's a youtube clip of her singing a Dinah Washington song that is really quite good, if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rakv-LKhdow

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #67 of 69
Amy Winehouse is just another corporate-music manufactured product. The entire "rehab" persona is just a part she is playing as a corporate performer.
Everything that is done by her and for her was simply manufactured as another money generating music tool, the drug/alcohol angle was started to give her attention to boost sales and to give her and her music "street cred" (as the music people amazingly still call it in 2007).
Any drug/alcohol participation taken above the part she is playing is just as good because it lends more credibility to the performance and her "people" are more than happy to supply her with what she may need.
It's the same old story that is the music/entertainment industry, she is just one of thousands.

LL-

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amy Winehouse is just another corporate-music manufactured product. The entire "rehab" persona is just a part she is playing as a corporate performer.
Everything that is done by her and for her was simply manufactured as another money generating music tool, the drug/alcohol angle was started to give her attention to boost sales and to give her and her music "street cred" (as the music people amazingly still call it in 2007).
Any drug/alcohol participation taken above the part she is playing is just as good because it lends more credibility to the performance and her "people" are more than happy to supply her with what she may need.
It's the same old story that is the music/entertainment industry, she is just one of thousands.

LL-

I wish I could just let this thread be. But some of the stuff I've read on here is just really inaccurate and ugly. I think a lot of people don't realize that Amy Winehouse was a sensation before "Rehab." Her last album "Frank" was critically acclaimed in England even though it never broke through in the states. So any claims that her handlers are doing this kind of stuff for publicity are reckless at best.

Now if there were some kind of proof, beyond the anecdotal type that you're offering, I'd be more willing to consider it. However, most music artists are only valuable to a label when they're alive and making music. This is especially true of artists that have not built a catalog. Risking someone's life over drugs doesn't seem to be fiscally responsible, does it?

It also seems as though some of the people offering opinions only know one song and a series of incidents about the young woman. It's sad for folks to be so judgmental, but I admit that I'm no better. I have treated Ms. Spears the same way. If you have listened to her entire body of work and still feel the same way, I can accept that, but I feel like that's not always the case.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #69 of 69
This thread has really grown some legs. So much so that I just listened to a few tracks. She still gets on my nerves. Just don't listen to her. The blackboard is not a good one as we all had to sit facing a blackboard for a long, long time. We don't have to listen to Amy Winehouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back