Does Amazon ban for excessive returns?
Dec 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrip541

100+ Head-Fier
I've had some bad luck recently buying items through amazon. I received the wrong jacket with the wrong tags, received another jacket in the wrong size, received a broken item and the replacement was broken and then the second replacement was also broken. During that time span I received 1 order that wasn't messed up. Do I need to worry about Amazon straight up closing my account for excessive returns/exchanges even if they were 100% legit? The internet says it's possible. Confirm/Deny?

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I am concerned also, I have to believe it's possible.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 7
I've had some bad luck recently buying items through amazon. I received the wrong jacket with the wrong tags, received another jacket in the wrong size, received a broken item and the replacement was broken and then the second replacement was also broken. During that time span I received 1 order that wasn't messed up. Do I need to worry about Amazon straight up closing my account for excessive returns/exchanges even if they were 100% legit? The internet says it's possible. Confirm/Deny?

I suppose it is possible, but I think a lot depends on the number of returns in a certain period of time. In the past couple of years I have returned AKG K702, Beyerdynamic DT150, AKG K612, Cayin C5 and AKG K240 Studio, not because of any damaged goods or wrong item orders but simply because I found them "incompatible" or "unsuitable". I bought each item in good faith, not simply to try them out, but Amazon couldn't possibly know that. To be fair, I did reorder the K612 a couple of days after returning the first pair. Perhaps I have just been very lucky?

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't have any numbers for you, but when I worked in my company's office I would constantly ship things there and take full use of their free return policy (mostly with ill fitting clothing). I returned so many things that the UPS guy once saw a package with my name on it and said to our receptionist, "Another return?"

I never met the dude but he knew my online habits simply by the sheer number of returns I had. In other words, I'm sure there's a point where they may reach out to you about it, but it's probably way far down the line.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 7
If there is something wrong with the products (which does apply to you here), there shouldn't be a problem. What becomes a problem is when you return many things in short periods and there's nothing wrong with them. For example, you're allowed to return headphones you don't like, but when you do this in extreme excess, it is considered abusive and you can be blacklisted for that. I know of at least one person this happened to. (Though he only brought it upon himself.)

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 7
There is no set quota, but read this:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/if-youre-returning-a-lot-of-amazon-purchases-heres-your-cautionary-tale-2016-03-21

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I just received a replacement for the second jacket, which is a light puffy down jacket. It's the correct model and size, but last year's model, which is way, way more shiny than this year's. It's also kind of brown isntead of straight gray. It kind of looks like I'm wearing a plastic bag. Amazon is KILLING me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back