Does all line out sound the same??
Sep 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
does all line out sound the same??

for e.g. will an iPhone line out be the same as the S:flo2 line out??

i know that the headphone jack sounds different but does line out sound different as well??

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 11
The Line out from the iPod bypasses the internal amplifier, that's why it sounds better, because it transport the pure digital signal. Others line out connection will sound different, as they transport signal from different hardware.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
The Line out from the iPod bypasses the internal amplifier, that's why it sounds better, because it transport the pure digital signal. Others line out connection will sound different, as they transport signal from different hardware.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

thats what confuses me, if it just delivers pure digital signal, why does it sound different??

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 11
it does sound different. like what you have said that s-flo and ipod's lineout have different DAC chip and the chip will have different digital to analogue conversion rate. therefore, sound can be different. furthermore, even though internal amp is bypassed but some capacitor and resistors inside is not bypassed. different in capacitor and resistor may also alter the sound signature. CMIIW

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Line-out is ANALOG not digital!!!
It comes from analog amplifier of low power,it is "signal" and it should be amplified to feed speakers or headphones.
If design is poor or components are low quality then line-out signal might be not so good.
If you do not posses golden ears,you may not tell any difference.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 11
well sashava you are almost right, line level refers to a 2v (single ended), or 3vrms+ (balanced) line level analogue signal. it does not necessarily pass through an amplifier at all, some dacs will have an internal current to voltage stage and directly output line level signal, some will output current which needs to go through an IV stage to produce the line level signal. it is these conversion stages, some of which might be as simple as a single resistor or a line transformer, the quality of the dac chip itself, the handling of the digital input signal and the choice of layout, circuit design, power supply and components in the output stage that produce different quality and sound signature of the resulting line level output.

by the way, line level output is usually enough voltage to drive most headphones without amplification, its the current that needs to be amplified in most cases. this depends on the headphones, higher impedance headphones will need some voltage amplification as well.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 11
no problem, of course there is more to it, but more detail would probably serve to muddy the waters in this instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back