Does a900 need an amp?
Jul 27, 2004 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Natsuiro

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if a900s would benefit significantly with the introduction of an amp since they seem to have low impedence. I would assume so, but which amp would be ideal for driving them at a cost of $100 or so but at $200 max? Maybe something with the best bang for buck?

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 9
I like what my SuperDual has done for the A900 -- fuller sound, a little more detail, and it's tamed the sparkliness that was showing up at the high end on some tracks.

Make no mistake, the A900 without an amp is very very good -- but with an amp, it's great. (As opposed to many other audiophile phones, where an amp takes them from "mediocre" to "great".)

Since the SuperDual's no longer available, I'm not sure what to recommend to you. Xin's new SuperMono might be good, but at the top end of your price range. You might want to look at the new Headsave Vibe or Classic amps, which are inexpensive but have been getting very good reviews. I also notice that they have the option of installing the AD8620 opamp used in the SuperDual, whose sound I like with the A900. (Just a thought, though -- I have very little experience comparing the sounds of different opamps, and I've never heard the OPA2227 that the Headsave amps use by default, so don't take my word as authoritative here.)

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 9
No, it doesn't need an amp per se, but if you are willing to throw down the change on a good amp, you will still find improvements, its just that it requires more amp to get there (i.e. you're less likely to notice improvements with a CMoy, for example).

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 9
most headphones i've heard doesn't require an amp to sound good...even the sennheisers. so the a900, especially, by no means require one.

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 9
The A900s seemed to gain their popularity here by developing a reputation for sounding very good without an amp. So it would be hard to make a general statement that they "should have" an amp, because they are one of the most recommended unamped cans, and many of us have been quite satisfied using them unamped even from weak sources.

But like any headphone, they can improve with an amp if the situation calls for it. There are many different reasons people use headphone amps (to provide the cans more voltage and/or current, to bypass a poor integrated amp on the source to send the signal through a cleaner path, or even to distort the signal in a desirable way). Any of these could sometimes apply to the A900s, but the first case will not be as dramatic as with some other cans unless your source has very weak output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back