Does a tube amp make sense for IEMs?
Jan 15, 2013 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iwannasomepho

Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I've been contemplating on getting the little dot mkiii. I'm just wondering if tube headphone amps make sense since I would be using only IEMs. I have the HD650 but prefer to use one of my IEMs (TF10, PFE232, IE8), my question is does it make sense to go with a full size tube headphone amp. Is there something smaller and more appropriate for the IEMs?

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 8
It does make sense... But ofc there are other options out there, and you might have issues with noise or hum or whatever...

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Way better :p At least for my two cans (dt880 and hifiman HE-500). The music is more natural and way more musical and the soundstage is better too. But it also has the tubish sound, and the bass can be a bit too blurred at times.
Not for iem's because the noise floor is a bit too high and I hear hiss.. It is bearable though..

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks. I've been keeping an eye for the little dot mk iii since forever. I haven't made the move yet since I want to get the Westone 4R before getting an amp. I might move the amp to a higher priority now.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 8
certainly... just make sure the amp is optimal for the impedance load of your IEM.  OTL amps that make your HD650 SING (for example) will not fare so well with low impedance IEMs.  High gain circuits optimized (again) for the HD650 will also not like high sensitivity / low impedance IEMs.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Thinking about it, most tube amps are good for putting out some voltage, not amperes. So, most tube amps would not be that good with low impedance cans. Also beware of the output impedance, which should be approximately or lower 1/8th of the impedance of the headphone, else the bass response will increase (more bass).
I *think* the little dot's output impedance is quite high, and I think you will get more from your money getting a solid state amp. You WILL get a more neutral and unaltered sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back