does a transport need a fancy power cable?
Dec 17, 2009 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
my transport(cd player) in connected to a dac, is there any benefit in putting a fancy power cable on the transport?

i always read put your best cable on the source. the transport is not really the source in this situation though, is it? i'd think the dac is. all the transport is doing is spinning the disc and reading the data. this is a real transport. no audio out just aes/ebu.

thanks,
music_man

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 83
i was trying to figure out what cord to put where. i already have the cords. i guess i could just try them all and figure it out for myself.

i have very high end coaxial cables and cannot hear a difference. i can hear a small difference in power cords. honestly that may be a placebo though since i am looking at how cool and fat they are while i am listening
smily_headphones1.gif

i do think power cords make a "small" difference. the huge differences some people hear(22 power cord shootout) i don't personally hear. how does this guy possibly hear that much difference in power cords? i wish i did! think about it. a great power cord is, what $400? a new high end component is a lot more than that! it doesnt work for me nearly that well though.

i apologize for starting so many threads about power cords. it is something that intrigues me though. i just got intrested in this again in the last few days for some reason. i am sorry to convey my thoughts for everyone to hear. hoenstly i can figure this out myself. just plug one here,one there and look at the pretty cables. i will leave you guys alone about this now. i promise.

do you ever see a uber high end system without giant power cords in the back? it looks cool at least.

hey, i doubt i have started as many threads as patrick82!

music_man

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was trying to figure out what cord to put where. i already have the cords. i guess i could just try them all and figure it out for myself.

i have very high end coaxial cables and cannot hear a difference. i can hear a small difference in power cords. honestly that may be a placebo though since i am looking at how cool and fat they are while i am listening
smily_headphones1.gif

i do think power cords make a "small" difference. the huge differences some people hear(22 power cord shootout) i don't personally hear. how does this guy possibly hear that much difference in power cords? i wish i did! think about it. a great power cord is, what $400? a new high end component is a lot more than that! it doesnt work for me nearly that well though.

i apologize for starting so many threads about power cords. it is something that intrigues me though. i just got intrested in this again in the last few days for some reason. i am sorry to convey my thoughts for everyone to hear. hoenstly i can figure this out myself. just plug one here,one there and look at the pretty cables. i will leave you guys alone about this now. i promise.

do you ever see a uber high end system without giant power cords in the back? it looks cool at least.

hey, i doubt i have started as many threads as patrick82!

music_man

I thought cables were the greatest thing ever, then I did a DBT between $20 RCAs, $100 RCAs, and $500 RCAs. I could tell the difference between the two latter ones and the $20 and tell which was the $20 one, but between the $100 and $500, while the sound signature was different, I couldn't tell you which was which. It was a change in sound, not an improvement, that I heard.

That is why when choosing cables, if your ears hears differences (not improvements, differences), is important to match it up with your system. Power cords same thing, I couldn't tell the difference between a $75 and $400 one. I could hear the differences between stock and the more expensive ones though, sound was generally clearer.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 83
i tried some different high end cables i have. i can't hear any differences. oh well.

i decided to edit this: if anyone is still listening. even though "i" don't hear a difference. i was wondering if any of you cable belivers feel that a transport needs a fancy power cable if it is feeding a dac. all it is doing is spinning and reading the disc,right? i was just wondering. most cable folks say "start with the source". well which is really the source in this case? the transport or the dac? i don't hear any difference but i am intrigued. i don't know why. i already have a bunch of cables, so no harm to my wallet or anything.

music_man

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 83
oh well, i didn't want to leave anything to chance
smily_headphones1.gif
so i just put odin on every component in my latest headhone rig(including ic's and headphone speaker wire cable). i had them on all the components in my loudspeaker system. still can't hear a difference though. my ears don't care either way. my wallet....pffffft. go right ahead, call me an idiot! except you patrick82, you get it right?

music_man

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 83
I have found that the transport doesn't really need a fancy power cable because it only changes the flavor of jitter that is output from the transport. It doesn't increase the performance like power cables for other components do. There are no improvements in dynamics, blacker background, speed, clarity etc. It's either edgy/bright or smooth/warm...when it's smooth you hear more low-level detail. But it's not important because most of the time I liked the brighter sound better, it depends on what flavor you like. If you like edgy sound you are lucky because you don't need to spend money on the transport, just use a cheap computer and spend the money on the rest of the system instead.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 83
Instead of uber-expensive power cables it is better to put the big bucks into cleaner AC, in the form of dedicated mains circuits, good grounding, and active/passive noise filtration. I am currently putting a new power cable on a 120 watts-per-channel amp, and am doing nothing more than replacing the stock 18/2 cable with a 14/3 cable with a Hubbell plug. The wire came from a pile in my shop. Why would you need anything better than the Romex your house is wired with?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 83
many people don't agree. i do however fully agree with you mr. short. i don't honestly know what made me buy all the cables. cachet maybe? even though it is "perceived" cachet of course. as luck would have it the fattest most noticeable one sucked lol.

it just made me feel important. now, we don't have to have a discusison of self worth. i am ok, really. they just made me feel good. there was nothing else to buy for my stereo really and i felt like going shopping.

18/2 will power 120wpc fine. you didn't even need the 14/3 lol. listen to me haha.

music_man

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 83
Agree with Patick82. Cables for transport only need to be decent. they only change flavor of the sound little bit. Also too thick of power cable usually hurt the sound too. Amps are where you slould use your best power cables.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reason behind this, is .... ?

A ridulously long subscription with Stereophile. Hehe.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 83
I think Hi-Fi Choice, the pommy mag is the most blatantly biased and over-rated mag I have ever had the misfortune to read in a newsagency.
Buy one? - Headphones killed my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back