Does a quality 6.3mm -> 3.5mm adapter matter?
Apr 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eltocliousus

Member of the Trade: Audible Bond
Hello, I have been using a $4 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter for a year or so now, it's worked perfectly and contiues to work brilliantly today however it struck it an hour ago, will a cheap adapter have a negative impact on sound quality?
I fear this may be in the same category as cables, some people spend hundreds, thousands on top quality cables and are certain that it plays a large role in sound quality, would an adapter be in the class?

All the best.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Provided that it is not poorly made, it should not affect the sound.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Hello, I have been using a $4 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter for a year or so now, it's worked perfectly and continues to work brilliantly today however it struck it an hour ago, will a cheap adapter have a negative impact on sound quality?
I fear this may be in the same category as cables, some people spend hundreds, thousands on top quality cables and are certain that it plays a large role in sound quality, would an adapter be in the class?

It's such a simple thing, doubt there is any quality difference between them.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 9
TRS jack-plug generally suck as electrical connectors, best is to replace them with 4-pin multicontact pin/socket that can have 10x lower contact R, don't mix R/L gnd return in high, unstable "single point" contact R, won't short channels on hot plugging

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
TRS jack-plug generally suck as electrical connectors, best is to replace them with 4-pin multicontact pin/socket that can have 10x lower contact R, don't mix R/L gnd return in high, unstable "single point" contact R, won't short channels on hot plugging

I'n sorry but I understood none of that, you mean I should use an amplifier with a 4-pin multicontact socket?

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 9
just saying all TRS implementations are compromised by the nature of the connector's contact structure - all I have seen are single cantilever spring beams with single electrical contact point with the TRS rings

if someone is really obsessing over connector quality then avoid TRS - which requires replacing/rewiring the TRS on provided on most headphones and amps

I'd rate it more important on physical measurement grounds than most recabling with special wire, insulation - but not a 1st or even 2nd order impact on audiblity from conventional psychoacoustic predictions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back