Does a lower frequency on an amp mean it has more bass?
May 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

coolaneasy

New Head-Fier
So all these different amps have different frequency ranges starting from as low as 5 hz from what I've seen.
So does an amp starting from 5 hz have better bass than one starting from 13 hz. What range does sub-bass fall in. I loooove sub bass. What spec should I look at to have a measure of bass?
Thanks

May 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. That helps but I would still like to know what qualifies the amp as good bass box. Also wat produces good sub bass.
If someone knows already that would help. Come on Skylab, Mrrayo and gurus.
I would describe my feeling of bass as that warm, thick choclate goo feeling.

May 20, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 10
No, lower frequency on an amp does not mean that it has more bass.*

Unfortunately I dont know how to measure "more bass" in an amp that measures flat into a resistor (I have a few that do yet sound totally different) so Im happily opening myself up to a wikipedia link.

In my EXPERIENCE you have a few options. 
Get a headphone with a VERY bass-heavy frequency response. Check out headroom for their awesome frequency response graphs. This is the easiest.

Get an amp with bass boost. People will cry night and day about this one despite the fact that headphones with truly tipped up bass have tipped down everything else (IMLE) "wow lots of bass to go with lots of garbage" where bass boost switches out of the circuit when you dont want it.

Find an amp that is generally described as having the sound you want. Have you tried an OTL tube amp with no global feedback & HD600? As they are commonly built they generally have a slightly loose sound that I find to make the bass stand out just a little bit. On the note of a slightly loose sound: I have never heard a speaker as tight in the bass as a set of Grado SR60 or Koss portapros direct from a soundcard so I dont see cause for alarm... 

*If I rigged it JUST right Im sure I could find a whole boatload of amps that only go to 40hz that people will swear go lower than another boatload that go to 4hz. 

May 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 10
@HQ. I think power is a measure of how loud the cans may sound. Not necessarily the bass.
thanks nikongod. some good tips. i just recently found out about the headroom graphs. actually just yesterday and cant find them anywhere. is it like a section here or wat? or is it on some headroom website?
The only amps I've tried so far are the Fiio E5 and the Leckerton Audio UHA-4. I've also ordered a little dot MK I+ Gold Edition as it had its low frequency was 5 Hz. But now from ur answer I guess it doesn't matter. I'm still gonna try it though. I've only been looking at portable stuff as of now. Maybe I'll look at xcan v8 or some other solid state amp for my denon 2000 later on.

I had an awesome setup before. It was a panasonic cd player and some(i dont remember)pansonic monitor headphones. I had awesome bass and subbass with this combo. The beat sounded like how it would sound in a huge theater. Like the beat's having a rumble follow it like a shadow. I still can't produce that thing with my current setup. I miss it so much.

May 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 10
man i've no clue where this learning center is.
looked at the top-left corner of this page. not there
looked at the top-left corner of homepage. not there.
looked at all the options of forum nav. not there
searched in the search box. didnt return a hit.
is this a payed option or wat?
Sorry i'm new to this place.

May 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

Nope. Goodness. Once you have enough power without clipping for the purpose, added power is unimportant. Ouput impedance will even have a more significant effect on bass control. Ignore the specs and read the impressions. I'm a bit techie but I trust my ears more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back