Does a headphone amp need a stand?
Jun 8, 2003 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

daffa

Head-Fier
Please advise me whether a headphone amp needs a stand or insulators to get a better sound? I don't see any vibrating part inside any headphone amp. I am curious because there is an auction going on in Ebay about Melos SHA Gold, which has been upgraded to have BBC cones. Likewise in Audiogon, a Headroom Max is being sold, including the stand, which has the cones as well. Just pondering if those cones are necessary.
DJ

Jun 8, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I use vibrapods under my Grace 901 amp and there is a marginal, but noticable improvement. But the floor in that room is bouncy (it's an old house) so anything helps. I also use a tire innertube under the CD player. Cheap but effective.

Jun 9, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Daffa: I haven't heard more than a all so subtle change when experimenting with different feet on solid-state amps, yet, but I could imagine that tubes with their sometimes complicated innards would react more sensitive to vibration - especially because tubes are socketed, too.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 9, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 7
I have experienced very positive results with vibration control on source components like CD Players: blacker background, more 3-dimensional sound. But with amplifiers I have noticed much subtler, if any, improvements. When I had a speaker-based system (B&K AV6000 and Sunfire Cinema Grand) the power amps where the last to received any kind of vibration control treatment. With my MG Head I did not notice enough change using Brass Cones to be sure it had any affect at all on the sound.

But, YMMV. Perhaps I would have noticed more improvement with different types of vibration control devices. Experimentation is recommended.

Jun 9, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
Please advise me whether a headphone amp needs a stand or insulators to get a better sound?

Yes, they need a stand or some sort of vibration control as much as any other amp does. Quote:

I don't see any vibrating part inside any headphone amp.

The point is not that they vibrate, the point is that the rest of the world vibrates. It is a good thing to keep the amp from vibrating (if you're familiar with electromagnetic theory, taking an electron stream and vibrating it -- in any plane/axis/whatever -- will induce unwanted EM fields).

Jun 9, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

The point is not that they vibrate, the point is that the rest of the world vibrates. It is a good thing to keep the amp from vibrating (if you're familiar with electromagnetic theory, taking an electron stream and vibrating it -- in any plane/axis/whatever -- will induce unwanted EM fields).

Thanks. I get the point.

Jun 10, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 7
I use vibration control now under my Linn Ikemi and I put the EMP on top of the CDP. The result is amazing!! LIke Gallaine said, more 3 D sound. I don't believe this thing can improve the sound. It is so good now so I don't know whether this will be my last setup. I listen to many CDs and my wife got jealous! Thanks for the feedbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back