Does a headphone amp do the ATH-M50 or Ultrasone HFI 580 justice?
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:
I'm not sure which headphone to get and not sure if a amp would do the headphones good, help please!

Having a good DAC is always a plus with whatever headphone you use.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 32
I would also like to know sense i just bought the ultrasone hfi-580's and i was wondering if i should get a amp, i would be plugging it into my iPod touch and my mac computer/laptop

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 32
The Ultrasone is quite responsive to EQ. I remember my friend who has a DJ1 when he first started this hobby and we hooked it up to a cheap E5, bass boost on and woah! That was some awesome bass performance. Even without the bass boost we still found improvements over bass transient responses.

Well for merely $20 even psychological effects would be well worth the money you spent :wink:

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
Im not sure which headphone to get and not sure if a amp would do the headphones good, help please!

The HFI-580 is a good all-rounder headphone.  It is efficient, as others have mentioned, but with an amp it tightens everything up with better impact.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
but would a cheap amp do a good job or do i have to lay down a hundred dollars

This is Head-Fi Jay.

You MUST spend a lot of money for great sound.  For the 580s, nothing under 1K would suffice....LOL...JK

Rules of Head-Fi- state a budget and go from there.  There are no cheap amps per se.  If your budget is about 60 beans a PA2V2 or E11 would be more than adequate.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 32
Fair enough.  But you must think a bit about your whole setup.  What is your source?  If it's an iDevice (iPod, iTouch, Nano, iPad, iPhone etc..) you will need an LOD (line-out dock) to get a clean signal and bypass the internal amp of the source.  You must look at your chain as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back