Does a "End Game" $900 - $1800 Headphone.......exist?
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
I own or have owned, a lot of headphones.
I have not yet purchased the Meze Empyrean, or the Hifimann Susvara, or anything created by Abyss, simply because of the "5%" theory, that tends to be correct. Are you getting 4x the Sound Quailty, for that extra $4000?
Hummmmmm

I have hesitated regarding the "Utopia", as for me, most of Focal's Cans sound good, in my opinion.... but they are just too energetic and somewhat too bright-present....for my taste.
The recent "Radiance' has dialed this back, but its by no means a recessed or neutral sound.

So, anyway, back to the lower priced category.

Owned most of the rest...in that $9-$1800.00, category.
Loved only a few.

If you have financed a lot of headphones in the $900 - $1800 Category and you believe a certain set or a couple are truly end-game quality, i'd like to hear of the Model(s) you so highly favor.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 31
There's this thing that can be considered

ADX5000, HD800s, LCD X, Arya

Just that in my mind and i already listened as well, you can be consider that

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 31
There's this thing that can be considered

ADX5000, HD800s, LCD X, Arya

Just that in my mind and i already listened as well, you can be consider that

The LCD-X is one of my favorite headphones, along with the Edition X V2.

Here is what Audeze has to say about the LCD-X

""This is our most popular headphone, driven by its popularity with audiophiles, but especially music producers and mastering engineers.""""

Many dismiss these 2, but i think they both have a very fine sound.
As a matter of fact, i was reading that in England, the LCD-X is the most used studio mastering set of headphones, so maybe Audeze has a point.

The HD800,.... that one ive not purchase, due to the fact that im Treble sensitive.

The Arya, is great, but its capable of a bit of SSSS, and the upper mids, are detailed but unusually so..

THe ADX5000, i have never heard. I will investigate this gear based on your recommendation.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 31
I own or have owned, a lot of headphones.
I have not yet purchased the Meze Empyrean, or the Hifimann Susvara, or anything created by Abyss.
I have hesitated regarding the "Utopia", as for me, most of Focal's Cans sound good, in my opinion.... but they just too energetic and somewhat too bright-present....for my taste.
The recent "Radiance' has dialed this back, but its by no means a recessed or neutral sound.

Owned most of the rest...in that $9-$1800.00, category.
Loved only a few.

If you have financed a lot of headphones in the $900 - $1800 Category and you believe a certain set or a couple are truly end-game quality, i'd like to hear of the Model(s) you so highly favor.

It depends on what you’re looking for when you say end game.Are you after ultimate detail, closest to neutral, vocal clarity, most natural timbre, all of the above but with a smoother/non fatiguing presentation?

Because I’ve been down the same road as you, but where we end up is so completely subjective and personal.

Anyway, have you tried any of the ZMF line?

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 31
The LCD-X is one of my favorite headphones, along with the Edition X V2.
Many dismiss these, but i think they both have a very fine sound.
As a matter of fact, i was reading that in England, the LCD-X is the most used studio mastering set of headphones.

The HD800,.... that one ive not purchase, due to the fact that im Treble sensitive.

The Arya, is great, but its capable of a bit of SSSS, and the upper mids, are detailed but unusually so..

THe ADX5000, i have never heard. I will investigate this gear based on your recommendation.

If you’re treble sensitive, which I am as well, skip the ADX5000. It is harsher than the Arya. (And I’ve owned every top end Hifiman model that has ever been created except the HE6).

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 31
That headphone is a ADX5000 with a good tube amp. Its a bit too hot with most SS amps I and a couple of folks who I know have tried, so don't bother with SS amps with it.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 31
It depends on what you’re looking for when you say end game.Are you after ""

Because I’ve been down the same road as you, but where we end up is so completely subjective and personal.

Anyway, have you tried any of the ZMF line?

Yes, and Yes.

Ive tried a few of Zack's Phones, and swapped pads.

what ive owned, so far.

1. Aeloes

2. Verite

In both cases, i was always looking for a Reference Sound, that you describe....""ultimate detail, closest to neutral, vocal clarity, most natural timbre, all of the above but with a smoother/non fatiguing presentation""""

What i heard in the ZMF"s was too much low mids, and a midrange that i didn't perceive as natural. Maybe the Treble was Ok.

Is there a Set of ZMF's that fit your perfect headphone sound, as you described it?....Which would be a Reference Sound.....> Or do you own one of those that i didnt adore : :)
= headphone sound is utterly "per person" subjective., as you stated.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 31
I currently own or have owned various headphones in the $1,000 to $4,000 range; while I don't believe in "end game" as I enjoy trying new things wayyy too much lol, the closest to end game and the one headphone I couldn't see living without at this point is the Audio-Technica ADX5000. Paired with a good tube amp (really couldn't get this headphone to be great with any SS options I've tried), its been unbeatable for me. The comfort level, the superior technicalities and the natural tonality has been second-to-none.

Another good option in that $1,500 price tag is the ZMF Auteur (also paired with a nice tube amp).

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 31
You reviewed the Radiance, I think I saw in it's thread. Do you consider a closed back headphones? Because Denon AH-D9200 have a lot of very happy users here in the forum... even some of them consider as an end-game. I'm going to try them (I hope) very soon...

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 31
I've heard quite a few headphones, albeit not the latest batch. I'm treble sensitive as well and to me, the "end game" is a "musical headphone". What I mean by that is a headphone that I could listen to for hours, without getting fatigued, while enjoying every second of it. The Sennheiser Orpheus was the most musical and magical headphone to me. I haven't heard the HE-1, but based on the reviews, it sounds like it would sound a lot like the Orpheus. However, $50k for a headphone is a non-starter. So, given what I've heard and my preferences, I haven't really found a better headphone than the Senn HD580/600. I can listen to them forever, without getting fatigued. I enjoy the experience immensely. Whereas I've heard other headphones that do certain things differently and sometimes better, I've never found a headphone that I would enjoy listening to more than the HD580/600 (aside from the Orpheus and likely the HE-1). So, to me, that's the end game and it's the end game that doesn't break the bank.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 31
Yes, and Yes.

Ive tried a few of Zack's Phones, and swapped pads.

what ive owned, so far.

1. Aeloes

2. Verite

In both cases, i was always looking for a Reference Sound, that you describe....""ultimate detail, closest to neutral, vocal clarity, most natural timbre, all of the above but with a smoother/non fatiguing presentation""""

What i heard in the ZMF"s was too much low mids, and a midrange that i didn't perceive as natural. Maybe the Treble was Ok.

Is there a Set of ZMF's that fit your perfect headphone sound, as you described it?....Which would be a Reference Sound.....> Or do you own one of those that i didnt adore : :)
= headphone sound is utterly "per person" subjective., as you stated.

I really like the Verite a lot. It gives Utopia but with a much smoother upper mids and treble. I agree with you, however, that it is not neutral. I do like the “flavor” though.

The Auteur is supposed to be the most neutral ZMF, while still being musical, but also with an excellent bass response with both quantity and sub bass extension. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard the Auteur yet. I ordered one about 4 months ago and it is supposed to be shipped out by the end of next week. So I will give a full review once I get it in my hands.

The Auteur is often described as a Sennheiser HD600 on steroids, with just better everything, especially soundstage and bass extension. So if that’s the case, it will be my endgame headphone.

If the Auteur doesn’t check all of my boxes, I’m going to rebuy the Verite Open and call it a day.

P.S. I owned the LSA HP-1 for a few weeks and sent it back. It gives excellent details and separation, but there was some glare in the upper mids/lower treble that bothered me, and the earpads are a little small. If it weren’t for the brightness/grain, it would be an excellent headphone for its cost.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 31
Will do., will skip it.

Do you adore the Susvara ?

Yes and no. The Susvara, with the right musical pairing, exhibits some of the best sound I’ve ever heard. It sounds natural, super detailed, holographic in soundstage, and with extreme instrument separation. But, to my ears, it possesses the same weakness as almost all Hifiman headphones (except the Edition X V2). It sounds brittle, harsh, and bright with any recording that’s even remotely subpar or poorly mixed/mastered. I find most Hifiman headphones just too unforgiving, and the Susvara was no exception. In addition to that, it is also extremely difficult to drive, and it isn’t winning any prizes for build quality in spite of its cost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back