Does a dedicated source always trump a portable source at lower costs?
Jan 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ecaz

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a home setup.

I've got an ipod 6gen, w/ Rockbox or converted AAC, doesn't matter.

Since my source media is so small, is it ideal to gain function with a portable amp or will I always get much better bang for the buck by getting dedicated components?

Any suggestions on a $300+/- setup w/o headphones for home use?

Maybe this is more headphone information than source component:

High quality sources:

Classical, Opera, Polka, Jazz are primary music types
European Electronica, some Rap are secondary

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Someone did a test a while back using uncompressed audio on an iPod through some decent speakers which ended up fooling an audience of audio-inclined individuals into thinking it was a $20000 setup.  I tend to agree that it is all about DAC and Amp quality and not cost.  I have heard some eh amps and DACs that were priced quite high.

A nice intro to some decent sounding gear may be to use the Total Bithead.  It is both an amp and DAC that I trust.  I used mine for years before upgrading to a Grace Design m903.  I did tons of testing and the Bithead holds its own quite well other than being a slightly bright amp and slightly weak amp, but most of the time you will not need something more especially in the sub $500 range.  The DAC boils down to noise and the amp boils down to how well it can control current / voltage to the voice coils.

Personally I find my iPod touch 4th gen quite musical when playing high quality and low compression music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back