Does a DAW help with audio quality? Or do I need a pre-amp?
Jun 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Adrenalyn

New Head-Fier
Hi,
being a musician, I am always trying to listen to the best quality audio as possible, but my lack of knowledge in audio hardware and computers in general makes me lost in this huge world of digital music. I won't even lie, I just recently learned the difference between lossless and lossy, and wanting to hear the actual difference, I downloaded .flac music. I tried very hard to hear the difference between .flac and my usual 192 kbps mp3 or m4a, but it is very hard, and I am wondering if it is because of my equipment or of my undeveloped ears.

I am using a pair of SHURE SRH440, and have the choice of plugging them directly in my laptop (Conexant 20561 Smartaudio HD - not sure if this is the speaker or the soundcard...) or in my TASCAM US-122mkII audio interface (which correct me if I'm wrong, should contain a better soundcard than the one in my laptop). Also, if I ever decide to buy speakers, could I plug them directly into my laptop or would I have to pass them through the daw?

Also, this afternoon, when listening to a .flac audio file, I could hear almost inaudible noise in the background when using the audio interface (which wasn't there when plugging directly into my laptop). Is this normal?

Please feel free to direct me to websites/articles/other posts that you feel I could benefit from reading (and that aren't too technical).
I want to learn all about the digital audio world, but I am kind of lost as to where to start, so would really like someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time,
Samuel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back