Does a Custom IEM like this exist?
Jun 25, 2015 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tool462

100+ Head-Fier
Forgive me for not keeping up with audiophile stuff for the last few years, it was never a big hobby of mine and been a crazy few years of life.

I recently got a new job that requires a LOT of travel.  I currently tote my BMF style T50RP's around with my Schitt Magni/Modi but will soon be doing shorter trips and want something I can use portable too.

My issue is that I may or may not have to be aware of my surroundings in public locations but still retain appearances as a "lost in my own world" traveler.

Is there an IEM or Custom IEM that allows sound into my ears like those various Etymotic/etc earplugs that filter a certain amount of sound but allow the full sound spectrum?  Obviously I'm talking about when the sound is paused on my portable device, without having to pull the IEM out of my ear to hear what's going on.

If nothing like that exists, what is a good lower budget CIEM for metalcore, melodic death metal, and other metal genres?  Source is currently a Zune HD but will probably be a Fiio X5 at the time of IEM purchase.

Thank you in advance.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 8
CIEMs that come with ambient port, the kind of professional CIEMs designed for vocalists. It basically has a hole to the outside, so a vocalist can banter with the audience, like, "Oslo, sing with me!" and then sing in turn. Some of them can be plugged, so if you want real isolation you just keep the covers on to seal it.

Off the bat I think UE and 1964Ears have this, but I'm sure a lot of others do too.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I think I remember seeing Future Sonics did some of those too, they got holes on their CIEM and even included something to cover those holes if you want complete isolation.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you for the leads all, gives me a place to start looking just knowing that they exist 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back