Does a ~0.1db channel imbalance matter?
May 22, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #16 of 24
Thank you all for the replies. My IEMs, vsonic vsd2s are slightly imbalanced to the right as well even after changing it twice. Im currently using a xiaomi iem that is similarly unbalanced to the right. However the imbalance seems more prominent when I test it using the s6 (I tested by closing my eyes and switching the l/r around multiple times and trying to identify which side is which; was able to clearly identify more times on the s6 versus others).

Then again maybe its placebo, and I do hope so! From my testing of all my sources it seems my sound card is rather balanced. Of course I know rmaa isn't the golden benchmark to use, but its the best I have.

Thanks everyone! I shall turn my audio back to stereo and not worry :)

May 22, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 24
It's probably a manufacturing variance. 0.1dB is nothing to worry about; it's likely within spec. 0.2dB, OTOH, is audible, especially if one is extremely familiar with the sound of the system.

I would love to see someone who can detect .2dB in test tones, much less music! It's more like .5 to 1dB.

May 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 24
True for ppl that can't hear differences in SQ, it doesn't matter at all, if its a $100 hifi or $10.000 audiopile they'll sound the same.
Thats why they aren't the customers of expensive audiopiles.

May 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #22 of 24
What if there really isn't any audible difference between the $100 unit and the $10k unit? Then the only sound you'd be hearing is your money flying out the door.

May 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #23 of 24
Just because a lot of audiophiles believe something doesn't make it true.

hahah so true. so many random myths in the audiophile world

May 26, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 24

5/ do you think your left and right ear are perfectly balanced? that can be checked by an audiologist, and you can ask him about what he thinks of 0.1db.

I was recently surprised to discover that my left ear is 2-3 dB less sensitive than my right. The audiologist thought even that amount was insignificant, and wasn't surprised that I was unaware of the imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back