Dodgy DT770s
Jul 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Halk

Head-Fier
I bought a pair of DT770s a month ago to replace my HD280s.

The HD280s had a problem with the cable, but they were over a year old so I assumed the cost to fix it would be higher than the worth of the headphones.

In the UK the DT770s like all headphones are horribly overpriced. £150 compared to $150, so I ordered from eBay in the US, and had them delivered to my Florida holiday home.

Anyway, the headphones have already developed a fault. The right headphone cuts out, it's as if I'm moving the balance slider the left headphone gets louder in comparison and the right eventually goes dead over perhaps 2 or 3 seconds.

If I wiggle the cable about I can get it back. Unfortunately it's difficult for me to determine exactly where the problem is as it's not as simple as moving the cable one way and it works... if I was pushed to guess what the problem was I'd say it was the connection inside the cup.

I can't for the life of me work out how to disassemble the cup to have a look inside and see if it's something I can fix myself.

As far as a warranty repair is concerned it seems a little unlikely because I bought from eBay in the US.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could open up the right headphone to see what's what?

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Who did you buy it from on ebay? Do that offer any type of warranty whatsoever?

Even if they don't, you might try contacting the person you bought it from and see if something could be worked out.

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who did you buy it from on ebay? Do that offer any type of warranty whatsoever?

Even if they don't, you might try contacting the person you bought it from and see if something could be worked out.

Sending them to the US and back would take a couple of weeks and probably cost a bit too. If it's something I can fix myself I'd rather take a shot at it.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Since the headphones haven't done their stunt for 12 hours of use I'm going to leave them until they do it again. I now should know how to open em up though.

Aside from that, I thought I'd ask some questions. I'm afraid I've little in depth knowledge of the technology, but I have spent a little bit on the stuff I have, so I might as well find out more about it if you lot don't mind.

I have the DT770 pros, as already mentioned. I use em on my PC which has an Auzentech X-Plosion card on it. I don't play many games and the games I do play aren't FPS, so gaming sound technology wasn't an issue. I also have a Cowon X5L, which I'll generally use crappo Sony in ear things that go around the back of my ear if I'm out walking. I do go to Florida for a few weeks in the year and I'll take my headphones with me then, partly because I can't stand the background noise in a plane, but mainly because I can't stand the cheapo Sony things for more than an hour.

I've never considered an amp, and I've no idea if I'd benefit in any way from having one. I've no problems getting decent volumes, but my limited knowledge of amps tells me that it's not about getting decent volume, it's about getting decent sound at a decent volume.

I bought the 80 ohm version of the headphones since I seemed to think that would be easier for my DAP and my PC to power.

Should I consider an amp?

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the headphones haven't done their stunt for 12 hours of use I'm going to leave them until they do it again. I now should know how to open em up though.

Aside from that, I thought I'd ask some questions. I'm afraid I've little in depth knowledge of the technology, but I have spent a little bit on the stuff I have, so I might as well find out more about it if you lot don't mind.

I have the DT770 pros, as already mentioned. I use em on my PC which has an Auzentech X-Plosion card on it. I don't play many games and the games I do play aren't FPS, so gaming sound technology wasn't an issue. I also have a Cowon X5L, which I'll generally use crappo Sony in ear things that go around the back of my ear if I'm out walking. I do go to Florida for a few weeks in the year and I'll take my headphones with me then, partly because I can't stand the background noise in a plane, but mainly because I can't stand the cheapo Sony things for more than an hour.

I've never considered an amp, and I've no idea if I'd benefit in any way from having one. I've no problems getting decent volumes, but my limited knowledge of amps tells me that it's not about getting decent volume, it's about getting decent sound at a decent volume.

I bought the 80 ohm version of the headphones since I seemed to think that would be easier for my DAP and my PC to power.

Should I consider an amp?

Cowon's DAPs have good built-in headamps so you are pretty good there. You aren't going to get much bump in SQ feeding an amp via an analog feed from you soundcard. You are better off getting an amp with a built-in USB DAC - then you'll get a nice kick in SQ. Headamp's Pico is a terrific unit but with the DAC it is a bit spendy. Not to worry though. Plenty of quality kit at decent prices. Check out Skylab's portable roundup review for starters.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 10
Alright. As far as comprehension goes...

No need for an amp for the X5L.
No need for a "normal" amp.
Best amp for the soundcard would be a built in USB DAC.

Since I've no idea what a USB DAC is, where would I learn about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back