Do your PS500 distort at louder volumes?
Oct 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

audiophilegamer

WARNING: KNOWN SCAMMER LEON KHUN
leon.khun@my.bdsc.school.nz
Aka: Vlooienuker, tsiknus, iso300and8, Androidhero2310.
I just received a used pair of the PS500 and at moderate to slightly loud volumes the sound starts to distort. I sometimes like my music loud if I want to jam to it and I just can't because the sound just distorts.. Is it only my pair or is it with everyone elses too?

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 15
I just received a used pair of the PS500 and at moderate to slightly loud volumes the sound starts to distort. I sometimes like my music loud if I want to jam to it and I just can't because the sound just distorts.. Is it only my pair or is it with everyone elses too?

Grados do not distort easily in my experience. Sounds like a defect.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 15

First there's the question of how loud is "moderate to slightly." In addition to individual tolerances there's also ambient noise - people in a quieter neighborhood will have a very different idea of "moderate to slightly" because they have less ambient noise getting in the way. Ambient noise by the way isn't always distinct - you think your room is quiet, but run an SPL meter app and it will likely register at around 30dB. That's basically as loud one PC fan blowing through a radiator, though not necessarily at full tilt yet.

Past that there's the amplifier or whatever device driving it. If you are in a louder area then it might just be hitting its limits on those Grados; otherwise, if you lived in a quiet area and even with an amp the Grados are distorting, you might want to have either checked out.

What are you driving them with?

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 15

First there's the question of how loud is "moderate to slightly." In addition to individual tolerances there's also ambient noise - people in a quieter neighborhood will have a very different idea of "moderate to slightly" because they have less ambient noise getting in the way. Ambient noise by the way isn't always distinct - you think your room is quiet, but run an SPL meter app and it will likely register at around 30dB. That's basically as loud one PC fan blowing through a radiator, though not necessarily at full tilt yet.

Past that there's the amplifier or whatever device driving it. If you are in a louder area then it might just be hitting its limits on those Grados; otherwise, if you lived in a quiet area and even with an amp the Grados are distorting, you might want to have either checked out.

What are you driving them with?

At the moment, Lyr and Bifrost. I bought it used from a member and I am utterly disappointed at the hype of them. Although I'm starting to think that its because they're defected... One of the cables is chinked permanently. They just dont sound good enough to be perfectly working PS500s...

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 15
At the moment, Lyr and Bifrost. I bought it used from a member and I am utterly disappointed at the hype of them. Although I'm starting to think that its because they're defected... One of the cables is chinked permanently. They just dont sound good enough to be perfectly working PS500s...

Yeah..the headphones are almost certainly damaged/defective. I crank Grados and I have the tinnitus to prove it (caused by too many concerts actually haha). But seriously, they should not be distorting.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 15
Yeah..the headphones are almost certainly damaged/defective. I crank Grados and I have the tinnitus to prove it (caused by too many concerts actually haha). But seriously, they should not be distorting.

Do you know if Grado fixes it? The seller has stopped responding to me... I've just been ripped off haha... I hope Grado can fix it!

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 15
Do you know if Grado fixes it? The seller has stopped responding to me... I've just been ripped off haha... I hope Grado can fix it!

Sorry man :/ I hope he responds. If you paid via paypal (as goods not as gift) you may be able to open a claim and get a refund that way.

I believe Grado does do such repairs. You should contact them and inquire. I have no idea what the price would be.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilegamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At the output of the Lyr it should get very loud even before the Grados distort, but even then, headphones all have their limit - even an amp that can dish out 100watts at 32ohms with 0.00000000000001% THD will not be able to use all that. 

You still need to isolate the issue. Have you tried other headphones on the Lyr? Try the Grados on a computer or tablet, see if it can get louder than the Lyr. if it does then get the Lyr checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilegamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have to contact Grado. They're not as difficult with out of warranty products but of course it it's the drivers that need to be replaced then you'll really have to pay for them.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 15
Just a thought - could this be a case of grattle or hair/foreign-object in the driver? It may be something you could try fixing at home (esp if its just foreign-object in the cup), otherwise I'd send them off and have Grado refurbish them. And negrep the seller (if possible) for their dishonesty about the condition of the cans (I'd assume) and poor communication. :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back