Do you work at a noisy workplace?
Jan 21, 2004 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Anders K.

100+ Head-Fier
I work in graphic industry and feel that I am careless and neglect protecting my hearing. I know I should but am to lazy to do so
redface.gif

There is a high volume in the factory, all machines are LOUD
mad.gif

I´m fearing hearing impairment and must start to wear hearing protection. The kind that looks like a large headphone
tongue.gif

How do you guys do and in what kind of sound-surroundings do you work?

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 20
There should be work safety regulations. There are at least in the USA.

Either way, if you feel it's too loud, it probably is.

Wear ear plugs. They're cheap insurance.

Or better yet, get a pair of Ety's or Shures.
etysmile.gif

-Ed

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
There should be work safety regulations. There are at least in the USA.

Either way, if you feel it's too loud, it probably is.

Wear ear plugs. They're cheap insurance.

Or better yet, get a pair of Ety's or Shures.
etysmile.gif

-Ed

Here it is pretty much up to each and every one to choose if to use some kind of protection. In other areas the safety regulations are harder.

Ear plugs do not work for me. I have to use the kind that looks like CD3000
tongue.gif

Just need to get my ***** out of the chair...
biggrin.gif
and start using the protection.

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 20
I'm a conductor.
I ride freight trains for a living.
Locomotives are very loud in side (I miss my caboose). Kind of funny that we are not required to wear hearing protection unless the windows are open.
confused.gif

Some of the locomotives are louder than others. Most of the new ones aren't too bad, but still more than I can handle with out ear plugs. The noise is mostly a loud deep toned roar. Then when the wheels are slipping on the rail we get this high high pitched squeal that can be heard for miles away. The horn is a lot quieter inside now that they moved it from directly on top of the cab, to back above the motor. Then I have to work with all these almost deaf old guys (from working years with no protection) that turn the radio up so loud it blows me out of the cab when the dispatcher comes on.
I wear E.A.R. brand ear plugs, the foam type. There are silicon flanged ones that are shaped like the Ety flanges, but those don't work well for me. I also wear Ety ER-4
etysmile.gif
I used to use the ER-6 but I needed ear muffs on over those in the louder locomotives.
eek.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 20
I spend most of my time in my home office and, occasionally, in a college computer lab. Both places are quiet, generally. The lab can get somewhat loud if the students get boisterous, but not to levels where it could damage anybody's hearing.

In a previous career, as a consulting archaeologist, there were times when hearing protection was warranted. But, I declined to use it and a combination of constantly flying in helicopters and light planes, working in/near heavy machinery, and occasionally having to use firearms (for animal defense) has left me with mild tinnitus. I didn't help myself by driving a diesel pickup, either.

Looking back, I knew that many of the noises that I was exposed to could cause contribute to noise-induced hearing loss, but I consistently ignored them, to my detriment. I should have been wearing earplugs, at the least, in many of those situations. (Hindsight is 20/20, of course)

So, I'm here to say that everybody should protect their hearing, at all costs, if you want to keep enjoying your audio equipment. If you work in a noisy environment (such as the one that Anders K. does), then it behooves you to make it known to your employer that you have concerns about the noise level or, even better, direct your employer to your city/state/province/country's relevant occupational safety/health acts (perhaps Anders K. should investigate Sweden's Work Environment Act, for instance). If your employers refuse to do anything about it, then they're probably breaking the law.

D.

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 20
Hey Anders K. !!

I also worked for newspaper industry for about 30 years. I always was very care about this.

I've used this for ever in press rooms.

model27small.jpg

They are not very comfortable but very efficient.

For all around I use regular protection like that foam type stuff.

You should take a look in this thread and do some searching here as "hearing loss".

Best

Ari

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I'm a conductor.
I ride freight trains for a living.

Hey Mr. PD !!!

That's wonderful. Send us some pics of you and your "babies"

Best

Ari

Jan 22, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for all replies.

This is what I´m gonna look like when it is to noisy in the plant, to protect my hearing
600smile.gif

protection.jpg

Cheers
Anders

Jan 22, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Locomotives are very loud in side (I miss my caboose).

Actually a lot of subways/commuter trains are very noisy inside. I'm surprised that this is permitted and so few people protect their ears inside them.

Jan 22, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Actually a lot of subways/commuter trains are very noisy inside. I'm surprised that this is permitted and so few people protect their ears inside them.

I imagine they are.

Actually cabooses weren't quiet.
But the engine is the loudest.

Good thinking there Anders, those look they will do the job nicely.
If you want you can take a pair of Koss KSC-35 and wear inside of those.
biggrin.gif
Just be careful of the seal.

Jan 22, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
In a previous career, as a consulting archaeologist

Sorry, this is off-topic, but I can't resist ... what does a consulting archaeologist do? For whom does one consult?

Jan 22, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
Hey Anders K. !

This one looks like a Peltor. Very good !!

BEst

Ari

Olá Ari!

Yes, it´s Peltor. Do you have them in Brazil to? Seems like they sell worldwide then
tongue.gif
Wonder where they´re manufactured
confused.gif

/Anders

Jan 22, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Olá Anders!!

I think the Peltors are USA made, I'm not sure,and, yes, we have then in Brasil.

The one is difficult to get here is the David Clark. I bought mine in US.

Tell me a secret. Do you have a Brazilian girl friend? You used your Olá very well...
biggrin.gif

Best

Ari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back