Do you wear yours in the rain (IE8 related)
Jan 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Johnny5alv

New Head-Fier
Hi

Ok this is probably a dumb thing to wonder about but hear me out.. Up until recently my most expensive in-ears were Sony's £40 jobbies, which for the longest time thought were 'high end'.......

Has the laughing stopped? Ok so I used to wear them in rain or shine... And I do mean RAIN, like proper heavy stuff.. I've never give it much though really, I mean it's not like I thought they were water proof or anything.. I guess I figured they were dry enough in my ears and more or less a sealed unit.

Anyway, I finally get wind of the real high end IEM's and after much research bought the IE8's... I love them and quickly found myself taking them out and hiding them in my pocket at the very hint of drizzle. The main reason obviously being that they ain't cheap but the other is that the IE8's have a bass adjustment dial on the headphones themselves which is probably a bad place to get water...

I guess the question remains, do you wear your HIGH END IEM's in the rain? If so, are they still working?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jon

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 19
I would def not take out my main iem in the rain only because water + copper does not work out too well especially when the cable is using a clear teflon cover but as long as no water could get in I don't see harm but I would never do it.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 19
It's always a good idea to have a knockaround pair in your IEM arsenal for those rainy days, IMO. I know I'd definitely not take the risk of taking $200+ IEM's out in heavy rain, but I'm kind of reckless yet a worrywart at times, so, heh.

My knockaround pair is the marshmallows, which are fun, boomy, and good change from more accurate, analytical IEM's once in a while (especially since rainy days may get your spirits down xD). They also don't protrude much and at as low as $7-10, you won't worry too much about it breaking since it's so replaceable.

So yeah, consider a "knockaround" pair for those hazardous days.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the replies, some good points made
smily_headphones1.gif
At least there seems to be some differing opinions and not a unanimous, 'HELL NO we don't'. But yes, I'll definitely keep my IE8's away from the rain but will still take them out at least in dry weather
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is why hoodies are part of my wardrobe.

and hats and umbrellas.
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 19
no electronics in Rain my friend ^ ^

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 19
its like -10C out there , sometime -20C.
only the temperture will damage the cable in my area.

I secure them if I sit outside for long enough. For sure, I wont wear in rain or snow.

Its good to bring backups.

otto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back