Do you wear your headphones in the rain?
Sep 23, 2004 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spitzfiya

Head-Fier
It rains alot here in Vancouver, and when It rains I don't use my headphones because I'm afraid of water damaging the drivers. I have the HD-497s and those little tiny holes look like they could attract water onto the back of the drivers. So...can water damage headphones? do you use your headphones in the rain?
eek.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 12
Water can definitely damage headphones, especially the diaphram is soaked.

Usually, I'll check out how the rain is falling (i.e. intensity, wind) before I decide whether or not to wear headphones in the rain. Since moving on to canalphones, it hasn't been a problem, so I'll let other people chime in.

EDIT: Depending on your location, rainwater can also contain minerals and alkalies (I could be wrong on this) that may damage your headphones over time through corrosion and such.

Sep 23, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 12
In vancouver, most of the rain is not really heavy (though there sure is a lot of it) and wind isn't a huge factor most of the time, so as long as you limit your time outside to no more that 20-30 minutes, I suspect the risks aren't too bad. Then again I'm just guessing and you're head could catch on fire.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Yeah this year theres an unusual amount of rainfall....I love when it rains tho, it feels so glum and it makes everything inside feel cozy and warm.
icon10.gif

But thanks for the warning, Water = Bad

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 12
I've been able to wear clip-on phones in the rain without any problems. Then again, I have long hair, so my ears are insulated. Hopefully I'll be able to test my EX71's in the rain soon (doesn't rain nearly as much as I'd like it to).

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
EDIT: Depending on your location, rainwater can also contain minerals and alkalies (I could be wrong on this) that may damage your headphones over time through corrosion and such.

You're right Blue onion, rainwater does contain minerals and impourities (dah...damn spelling), although I'm sure what you mean by alkalies...rainwater is usually slightly acidic, due to carbon dioxide dissolving in the water (hence acid rain - more carbon dioxide in the air, more acidic).
Also, for rainwater to dissolve your headphones, it would take several million years. Unless, say, the rain is highly acidic. Then you shouldn't be out in it either! If you got your nice cans damp...and didn't dry em, then you could have probs with corrosion.
Also, Puddleglum, your head won't catch fire with wet headphones. Unless of course, you were wearing electrostatics....then you deserve to get burnt for taking em out in the rain!
So, its probably not the best idea to where headphones in the rain, but if you have an umbrella, and its not a absolute storm....give it a shot!

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 12
I was joking about the head catching on fire, at least I hope so. But most of the rain in vancouver comes straight off the pacific and probably has minimal pollutants (at least for this day and age). But the water going in those litter holes probably won't be good. You could always but ziplocks on your ears, bet that'd make you look real snazzy.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 12
i wear my drummer cans out in the rain all teh time
mind you they have a crazy good seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back