Do you want the old forum again?
May 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #31 of 95
I'm fine with it, but the abundance of white space was the first thing I noticed. I think there could be a tad less.

May 7, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #32 of 95
Except for all the white - I like it!

May 7, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #33 of 95

Quote:
I find myself visiting Head-fi less often, and reading fewer threads since the changeover.  The new site simply conveys less real information density.

Yes. I used to be able to check all the major subforums for new threads of interest in less than 30 seconds. Since the switch to Huddler, I haven't even been in all the subforums yet. Way too much scrolling for a trackpad, as if every bit of information had loosened and floated away from every other bit. It could be that I'm not adept at navigating the new UI, but it's not as though there's anything new or unexpected about it.

Quote:
I somehow never get the feeling that the wishes of the users/members of this forum are of any concern to the owner.
This is another example that makes that feeling stronger.
The new site is perfectly layed out to exploit the knowledge the members must supply. We are just (barely politely) being asked to fill in the blanks, and to continue make this site more valuable and profitable. I also get this feeling that Jude is considering to sell out in the not too distant future, the unprovoked remark that there is NO change of ownership with this change clearly points that way.

Speculation, but this might not be far off.  I think it's pretty clear that forum owners transitioning to Huddler are probably interested in more effective means of monetization, since that's one of the selling points Huddler itself touts.  Content is a valuable commodity, and I don't see anything wrong with treating it as such.  However, the new platform gives me the distinct sense that the objects of our desire are now being regarded more as products than forum topics.  Indeed, the layout and design actually seems to subtly herd members into the role of consumer/content creator.  Products/consumers, neither of these things is altogether untrue.  Still, I don't visit Head-Fi for the same reasons I visit Amazon, and I don't like being treated like a consumer in a community of like-minded friends.

Neither am I a huge fan of the look.  It seems like an early experiment in Web 2.0, almost like a primitive WordPress theme.  I've always felt that vBulletin aged gracefully.

Anyway, I suppose we'll learn to deal, and I do look forward to taking advantage of some of the new features.   I expect some things will be better, and some things will be worse, same as anything software.

May 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #34 of 95
One of the major issues I have is the color scheme. If there was a theme of colors that we could choose that would be much better on my eyes :)

May 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #36 of 95
The change happened.  It will never go back to the way it was.  This site is now a commercial interest.  Money is king.  Deals, I am sure, were made.  Costs must be recovered.

The only way to stop such events from happening is through group ownership.  Figure out a way to make a site like this that is decentralized.   Where everyone who participates owns and controls the site.  Have a system of discussion and votes that control any changes.   Use users hardware to store data.   Stop being a victim of people who used to be just like you but now see money and opportunity everywhere.  

May 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #37 of 95
Quote:
Google HASN'T CHANGE THEIR PAGE'S LAYOUT SINCE DAY ONE. Not a whit. Why? There is no need to. Its look and simplicity is familar and wonderfully fuctional to billions. If they started shifting things around, people would be come frustrated.

Rather ironically, Google has changed its look in the last few days. And people appear to dislike it also.

May 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #39 of 95
What the hell is this. I've been cleaning sticky cat pee out of the grout lines in my laundry room for the past few days and I come back to this? My poor buddy has a bladder thing.

Edit: Where's the little space where you can say why you edited.

Change sucks.

May 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #40 of 95
The new style is clearner, more functional.

It's harder to navigate at times and viewing the list of forums was painful at first - but thats the way the internet is goign.

The old design was dated, and this one is quite modern.

There's no need to go back. There are needs to tweak this setup, however. I don't like the quote system, but I will adjust.

FWIW I too have found myself reading less threads

Quote:
Friends list is gone, so are birthdays and social groups. My question is why? Not a happy camper right now

I dont think this was intentional, but it made me laugh out loud

May 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #41 of 95
I guess the best thing about this design change is that I'll be spending less money now.

I'll come to this site less often because I hate navigating it.  Therefore, I'll be spending less money because I'll miss reading about new gear.

May 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 95
Too much white @_@'

I always love black with white text themes (or dark colors with light text in general), they are so easy on the eyes
dt880smile.png

Everything is a bit too spread out for my tastes, but otherwise, this is a refreshing new layout.

May 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #43 of 95
If it aint broke don't fix it would have been my choice, but I guess change is part of life, so I'll roll with it.

May 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #44 of 95
The new layout looks modern and some features have improved, personal profiles for example, what i feel really annoying is the impossibility to directly jump to the last page of a thread from the subforum page, you can't even know how long a thread is until you click on it.

May 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #45 of 95
Edit: This post was made in reply to "errnst" post, above; Though obviously the reply button is buggy and inoperative , I guess .

I understand from inside sources (Wall Street types) that an " Initial Public Offering " idea for Head-Fi has been floated... So, you may yet have your shot ! (J/K , of course)

I say, "Good for Jude" and the moderators if they are compensated for having made Head-Fi a commercial success from their initial hobby and continued efforts.  

/ Though my signature and its Rascal does look a bit shattered and discombobulated from the ordeal :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back