Do you want a source switcher?
Feb 1, 2004 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there anybody here interested in a high-quality-but-affordable source switching device?

I know RadioShack carries a switcher, but it's crap-- the inputs reportedly leak into each other audibly.

An hi-fi alternative is the Headroom SwitchBox which costs a pretty hefty $160.

What if there was an alternative to the Headroom box that cost around $70-80, depending on options, such as # of inputs, dual outputs (for say, switching between headphone/speaker systems)... would anybody be intersted in such a product?

Feb 1, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 19
I would.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 19
Definitely. Actually I already have one built by a fellow member here. Its a great device to have especially if you want to do some A/B comparisons. I can't do without it (especially since it houses my crossfeed)
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for the responses so far. JeffL, I'm not sure how serious you are, but I'll respond anyway... Although a mixer, I guess, could be used for this kind of purpose, it isn't at all close to being ideal since most people don't need mixing abilities, which means that the extra potentiometer (unless it can be bypassed) in the signal path is unnecessarily soiling the sound. I was obivously thinking in terms of a "switchable wire" idea...

A couple follow-up questions: would you want two outputs? How many inputs do you require? How many people would use crossfeed for the headphone output?

Feb 1, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
Wouldnt such a middle man lower the quality of the sound if the mixer isnt equally top of the line?

Jeez, how many times do I have to say we're not talking about a freakin MIXER!? :p

But anyway.. It's not as good as a direct connection from source to amp, I suppose-- it's a pretty minor tradeoff in sound quality for a lot of added convenience for some people, I would imagine.

Feb 1, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 19
Interesting but i'd like mine not to have blurred front panel like the one the Headroom site.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 19
I would definitely be interested in an inexpensive source switcher, then I wouldn't have to be disconnecting and connecting cables from my pc and my pcdp all the time. It's rather annoying. But I don't need many functions (or connections). However I value small size and low price. Until I find something decent, I'll just go through the pain of connection/disconnection.

Feb 1, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 19
I have been using a custom switcher for many years

four way tape dubbing and monitoring (preamp tape rec out to in,four deck in/out , monitor out to preamp tape mon in)

recorder processing loop

monitor processing loop

four input source expander (four inputs to preamp aux)

four way output expander (input from preamp to four outs)

allows any number of on the fly patching, especially with the deck four front panel in/out for portables

Feb 1, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Cheapest solution is to get the switchbox from Fry's electronics section. It's buried in their mix of resistors and capacitors and whatnot. There's no source leakage and I couldn't hear any sonic degradation. Runs between $4-7, I forget.

Feb 1, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 19
Could something like this be used for multiple amps to one source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back