DO you use headphones for your work?
Feb 10, 2005 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bias

100+ Head-Fier
Like me? I'm a location sound recordist. Most people in this biz use the ubiquitous 7506 (V6), but i've seen some intrepid types (like me) start to use alternate models, most recently the 280p. I use it for it's better ambient sound attenuation and It's 7506-ish presentation. Don't like this for music though. Ditto the Sony. Also seen the hd25 around. The 7506's stand up to abuse better than the Senn's (my headband cracked after a few months) and, like, the 280p articulate the human voice well. Out of curiosity, if not a professional headphone bearer, just what do you guys do to get such interesting toys?!

Feb 10, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 9
Some of us just like nice sound and don't care care to drop the $$$ on a nice speaker setup (or can't for fear of disturbing others, or any number of other reasons).
biggrin.gif

As long as you're feeling intrepid, why not try out some AKG stuff? I really like the K271 Studio, it's a surprisingly versatile set of cans, imo. Pretty comfy, too. I see a lot of good comments on the HD25-1 as well.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 9
I am with Helter Skelter on this; I enjoy good sound, and a speaker setup is too expensive and would disturb the other people living in my house (ie: my parents).

Also headphones are pretty much the only solution for portable sound, and they look cool.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 9
Same story here too. Really good speakers are just too expensive for me right now and I can't really listen to them adequately after my boy goes to bed anyway. Mostly, I do my listening at work where it helps me focus on my design or code. It's a very enjoyable way to work if you are one of the ones that can focus with music going on. Some can't I guess.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 9
I listen to my e2cs during net meetings and IPTV broadcasts at work.

I only wish I could make $$$ in the recording industry...

Garrett

Feb 10, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 9
i produce casually and dj. so yeah headphones are a utility to me rather then a purely music listening thing. not saying i dont just listen to music either
wink.gif

i have some krk rokitrp8 near fields which are deluxe, dj'ing is taken care of ultrasone hfi500 dj1's, and atm producing akgk240s too
smily_headphones1.gif
i am on a never ending quest to match headphones to my nearfields though. i want to try the sony mdr cd900st they sound like the biz!@#

edit: theyre k240s not k270s
blink.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm a custodian, so headphones are my only choice at work
tongue.gif
Hopefully I'll finish college (nework admin) sometime soon, and I wont have time to listen to music at work.
biggrin.gif

Portable: 15gb Dell DJ + PX100

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 9
I restore acoustic and early electrical recordings for CD release. I use the Sennheiser HD-590s because they're the closest I've found to predictably estimating how EQ curves will sound through high quality home speakers.

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Though I work as a computer engineer and sales representative, I work with the sound engineer when we produce company material. They have a variety of 'phones available:

Sony MDR-7506 (TONS)
AKG K240M (several)
AKG K271S (mine)
AKG K270 (AWFUL - they were scared to listen to my K271 after that one)
Beyer DT250-80 (several)
DT770-600 (1 or 2)
Senn HD280 (several)
Senn HD25-1 (I introduced them to that can and they love it
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Grado HP-1 (not mine, and I just learned about its presence several weeks ago - I have not seen it)
Sennheiser HD600 (a couple)
Ultrasone HFI-650 (also mine - I "donated" it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back