Do you use ground loop isolators?
Oct 27, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #16 of 30
dude, just because a photographer knows about the camera, doesn't mean they take crappy pictures, and I take great offense to your very childish view of the world, mostly because you're insulting more people that could probably call you their friend (how's that for rudeness?)

in a more controlled way:
you're making too harsh a generalization, and shouldn't be so quick to judge, just because someone happens to have some knowledge or skillset that you don't, especially if they're willing to share it with you

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 30
Don't call me Dude. I am not a "dude". I never said a person who knows a lot about cameras is necessarily a crap photographer. Just saying that lot of them are. Just as I'm sure a lot of self proclaimed audiophiles are actually cloth eared and can't hear above 14khz. And that's a fact and not opinion. I was defending the position you don't need to know a lot about a camera to be a good photographer, it is not a prerequisite. Just as I don't need to know how to build a ground loop isolator to know what sounds good and what doesn't. Capisce, dude?

Oh, and this wasn't meant as a rude insult?

"wow.

and he was explaining it simple too"

I was'nt born yesterday, dilbert.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't call me Dude. I am not a "dude". I never said a person who knows a lot about cameras is necessarily a crap photographer. Just saying that lot of them are. Just as I'm sure a lot of self proclaimed audiophiles are actually cloth eared and can't hear above 14khz. And that's a fact and not opinion. I was defending the position you don't need to know a lot about a camera to be a good photographer, it is not a prerequisite. Just as I don't need to know how to build a ground loop isolator to know what sounds good and what doesn't. Capisce, dude?

Oh, and this wasn't meant as a rude insult?

"wow.

and he was explaining it simple too"

I was'nt born yesterday, dilbert.

its just easier to call you stuck up, as my current level of education doesn't afford me the ability to teach people with developmental or social disabilities, sorry
redface.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 30
"its just easier to call you stuck up, as my current level of education doesn't afford me the ability to teach people with developmental or social disabilities, sorry"

First you call me stuck up and then follow it up with complete pretentiousness. Do you know what a hypocrite is?

This is my last say on the matter. Some people build fast cars and others race them. Now move along, nothing to see here.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Yea, and most people that know more about the science than the art are not very good photographers. They may well be technically proficient but usually do not also have the mindset of an artist. Some have both qualities but most often not. Go read a photography forum and you will see most talk incessantly about the technical aspects and not the art and post boring cliched photos that are technically good but visually boring. And just because you understand your f-stops etc. doesn't mean you know how to build a camera or have a desire to do so.

I don't even own a soldering iron and have no intention of buying one either. The nexxtech GL isolators I bought at The Source which is what used to be Radioshack in Canada. I don't hear any signal degradation anyway so it is not an issue. But now I only use one on my PC to my computer speakers and the computer to my hi-fi setup is using digital so don't need the isolators there. Thanks for the advice but I didn't post asking how to build my own.

Is it humour or rudeness? It's a bit of both. Don Rickles was very rude but funny too. Look at my avatar and that should give you an idea as to the type of person I am. Ena Sharples was a character from Coronation Street way back in the '60's and was a real biatch.
wink.gif

For what it's worth, I regret replying to the question of such rude and arrogant person in a first place, and, btw, welcome to my ignore list.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

"its just easier to call you stuck up, as my current level of education doesn't afford me the ability to teach people with developmental or social disabilities, sorry"

First you call me stuck up and then follow it up with complete pretentiousness. Do you know what a hypocrite is?

This is my last say on the matter. Some people build fast cars and others race them. Now move along, nothing to see here.

wow, I just read all this, and you really are being an unpleasant person. I'm sorry you approach things the way you do. Your going to end up a very unhappy individual. Or have an ulcer. Namaste dude.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xitel makes good quality RCA isolator. Amazon.com: Ground Loop Isolator: Electronics
And yes, they will affect quality to same degree. Nowadays I just stick with cheater plugs, they do the trick without any sonic effect. You can also try HumX, that one goes on power plug and should not have effect on sound, except from what I've read it's not 100% effective.
Amazon.com: Ebtech Hum X Voltage Hum Filter: Musical Instruments

Great news, after years of living with two prong cheater plugs I decided to swallow bitter 100 bucks expense and got two HumX thingies from amazon. And the thing works as advertised. There is zero computer noises at max volume and high gain setting on GS-1, exactly as with cheater plugs. And it still supposed to provide safe ground.
Honestly I was very skeptical, but it turned out to work absolutely great and without getting into audio signal path.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

I have enough money that I don't need to know. Thanks anyway.

Maybe splash out on your arrogance for Christmas then...

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #27 of 30
Ground loop isolators are basically transformers. If you want to use the high quality transformer isolation devices the pros use, here they are: WELCOME TO JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. Model CI-2RR is the one you want for normal stereo audio and model VR-1FF is the one you use to get rid of pesky hum problems from cable TV. These are expensive, but they're some of the best quality transformers which can be bought.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

I did, bought myself DT990pro headphones. Next up, tube amp.
icon10.gif

Try building one
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back