Do you use equalizers?
Oct 5, 2004 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Spitzfiya

Head-Fier
Do you use equalizers in Foobar? If you do What Gains in dB do you use and why?

I have the HD-497s and They sound GREAT without any equalizer at all, But what if I want to make my music sound a little more exciting....mabye tweak the sound to perfection? Would using an equalizer degrade or damage my headphones? For example the XBS on my PCDP is ovewhelming and everything becomes unbalenced when i use it so I leave with EQ off.

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 39
I'm not a fan of eq, I like things the way they are.

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 39
I rarely use eq. Sometimes I will us mp3gain to try and normalize mp3s I picked up from allofmp3.com but I don't buy from them much anymore. They have been doing sketchy things lately like re-intruducing albums as new releases when they appear to be the exact same files.

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 39
in two occassions i do - when the CD3K is just refusing to show any kind of bass (not always the case) and for nasty bootleg hiss (get rid of that treble!).

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
and for nasty bootleg hiss (get rid of that treble!).

Shame on you
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 39
nope.

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm not a fan of eq, I like things the way they are.

And how do you know exactly how they are? How do you know if the driver you are listening to, is reproducing exactly what was recorded, and the way it was recorded....unless you spend huge amounts of money in room treatments, and ultraexpensive amps, and transducers, or headphones setups with outrageous prices, you will never get that, the EQ (and tone controls) are a lot cheaper, and will correct those problems even better, in fact, they are used along all the process of recording and making the master tapes, all the recording studios uses them.......but anyway, this is a general believe here, and i wll not try to persuade anybody of using or not them, and just for curiosity, I was reading about the topic some time ago, and I found this article, sorry there no way of linking it, so I will post a fragment, it is from the white noise audio website and made by a really knowledgeable person:

".......Oh catastrophe! Oh Armageddon! Oh end of the audio world as we know it - White Noise have developed a tone control module! What's worse is that it was developed to satisfy considerable customer demand! A lot of nonsense is talked about tone controls. "They cause phase shifts", sure they do, but this is not necessarily detrimental to sound quality, and in any case the phase shifts are much smaller than those caused by the crossover networks inside almost every loudspeaker cabinet. "I can hear the difference between tone controls active but set to neutral and tone controls switched out", sure you can, but this has nothing to do with the tone control design itself and everything to do with lousy matching between the sections of almost all stereo potentiometers. Poorly matching potentiometer sections means that there is no "neutral" position for the tone controls. If the amplifier manufacturers can persuade listeners that tone controls are a bad thing they can shave pounds off the production cost of each amplifier, whilst keeping the retail price unchanged. Neat huh? Of course an even better trick is to leave out the phono stage ( "no one listens to vinyl these days" ), while keeping the retail price of the amplifier unchanged, and then sell you the necessary phono stage as an add on at a hugely inflated price ( "they're expensive because there is no demand and anway we're doing you a favour by making them at all").

Imagine that you have just bought a very expensive loudspeaker and it sounds a little bright in the extreme treble for your taste. You write to your favourite hi-fi magazine for advice. No problem they tell you, sell your new loudspeakers, at a considerable loss, and buy Brand X loudspeakers which are well known for their understated treble in listening rooms nearly identical to yours. Get a life! One or two dB of treble cut would have solved that problem for nothing. Before your favourite music has been burned onto a CD, or cut in vinyl, it has already passed through numerous tone controls and equalisers but the critics never claim that all recorded music is unnatural sounding as it would be if tone controls and equalisers had a deleterious effect on sound quality. Tone controls are invaluable for ironing out minor incompatibilities between components, quirks of individual listening rooms, and differences of taste between the producer of your favourite CD/LP and yourself. For example if you compare the recorded version of songs by rock groups with the live music you invariably find that the former is always bass light. I like music to sound as real as possible so I always use a touch of bass boost when playing rock music....."

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 39
i sold my ihp120 and keep the imp550 because the imp550 has parametric EQ. i dont care about this so call natural sound and true the recording anymore. i'm just going to do what i want to my music and as long as it sound good i'll enjoy it.

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 39
I typically do not use equalizer, but I find it very useful for home theater applications (increase the bass, reduce the treble to compensate for some movie tracks mixed for movie theaters).

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 39
Yes, I use an EQ, for my speakers, but usually not for my headphones.

I am perfectly satisfied with the sound of my headphones, but ocassionally an EQ is useful to remove sibilance.

With speakers it depends on the application. If I am doing live sound reinforcement, an EQ is necessarily to maximise gain before feedback.

With my Marantz and my Advent speakers, I use it to boost the midrange and drop the treble a bit, because the speakers and/or Marantz are slightly bright sounding. Sometimes I also cut the bass a little.

I also have a 10 level stereo EQ which I intend to setup to do some basic room corrections.

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 39
Wow how can any of you guys NOT use the EQ!!!!! Without the EQ everything just sounds... uninteresting, boring, no energy at all.

I use it mostly to flatten the sound, ie if a set of cans is a bit bassy, i up the mids. If it lacks highs i give them a little boost. Makes all cans I use into great cans. Without the EQ everything sounds well... meh.

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 39
I resorted to eq out of frustration with the state of the art in dynamic headphones. I use a 31 band digital eq that resides entirely in the bitstream. I can revoice headphones to my liking, restore missing deep bass, and flatten overactive midbass. It was a revelation for me, because I had been a long time naysayer of equalization.

To your specific question, no, I am clueless about the foobar eq. Sorry.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back