Do you use electronic cigarettes? Please sign this petition..
Nov 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/The_European_Parliament_Save_electronic_cigarettes_from_excessive_EU_regulation/?cUJOqgb

Why this is important

Electronic cigarettes have become hugely popular across EU member states. Smokers finally have access to an alternative to smoking tobacco, one which leading scientists and medical professionals agree is around 99% safer than traditional cigarettes.

Following the recent overturning of EU proposals to bring electronic cigarettes under medical regulation, the EU is once again attempting to enforce poorly thought out and excessively draconian restrictions on the import, export, manufacture and sale of ALL currently available electronic cigarette products.

Under the new proposals, all tanks, juices and re-usable devices will be banned. The plans to rush these proposals through before the end of the current EU Presidency means that proposals designed to decimate the electronic cigarette industry and deprive millions of ex-smokers from the the one product that they know will keep them off tobacco for good, will be voted on without due democratic process.

We urge the EU Parliament to reconsider the proposals under Article 18 of the Tobacco Products Directive. More time needs to be given to the process to ensure that reasonable consumer regulation which respects the rights of vapers is drafted and approved.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/The_European_Parliament_Save_electronic_cigarettes_from_excessive_EU_regulation/?cUJOqgb

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 34
  so if the law is approved you will only be left with the "option" of buying the harmful tobacco which it is known to cause cancer, then stop smoking.

Basically the proposals are absolute madness and are nothing to do with public health, they are for the benefit of the tobacco companies and tax revenue from governments. They want to regulate it so that they can have a share of the profits. Vote on the petition and maybe it will help. 8000 votes in 3 days... at this rate it will be 80000 in a month.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 34
I had heard rumors about this, its true purpose was a mystery to me but its obvious now you say it, they cant charge tax on e-sig juice.

I actually stopped smoking three months ago, went from smoking a box a day for the last 10 years to nothing over night.   Surprising bit is i don't miss it at all, no withdrawal, cravings, nada.  I believe once you decide your fed up with it, and dont want to smoke anymore there is nothing stopping you from walking away, its all in your head.

So what did i do with that extra €10 in my pocket everyday, i joined Head-Fi and spent it all on audio gear.  <- seriously i did, and don't regret it for one minute
normal_smile .gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 34
  I had heard rumors about this, its true purpose was a mystery to me but its obvious now you say it, they cant charge tax on e-sig juice.

I actually stopped smoking three months ago, went from smoking a box a day for the last 10 years to nothing over night.   Surprising bit is i don't miss it at all, no withdrawal, cravings, nada.  I believe once you decide your fed up with it, and dont want to smoke anymore there is nothing stopping you from walking away, its all in your head.

So what did i do with that extra €10 in my pocket everyday, i joined Head-Fi and spent it all on audio gear.  <- seriously i did, and don't regret it for one minute
normal_smile .gif

+1 
Quit without any smoking aid overnight. After about five years of 'pack a day' cigarette smoking  it has now been 1.5 years since i gave it up. IMO quitting has more to do with committing than picking another apparently less health affecting nicotine alternative. Electronic cigarettes are a silly fad. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 34

Why this is important

Electronic cigarettes have become hugely popular across EU member states. Smokers finally have access to an alternative to smoking tobacco, one which leading scientists and medical professionals agree is around 99% safer than traditional cigarettes.

Following the recent overturning of EU proposals to bring electronic cigarettes under medical regulation, the EU is once again attempting to enforce poorly thought out and excessively draconian restrictions on the import, export, manufacture and sale of ALL currently available electronic cigarette products.

Under the new proposals, all tanks, juices and re-usable devices will be banned. The plans to rush these proposals through before the end of the current EU Presidency means that proposals designed to decimate the electronic cigarette industry and deprive millions of ex-smokers from the the one product that they know will keep them off tobacco for good, will be voted on without due democratic process.

We urge the EU Parliament to reconsider the proposals under Article 18 of the Tobacco Products Directive. More time needs to be given to the process to ensure that reasonable consumer regulation which respects the rights of vapers is drafted and approved.

+1 
Quit without any smoking aid overnight. After about five years of 'pack a day' cigarette smoking  it has now been 1.5 years since i gave it up. IMO quitting has more to do with committing than picking another apparently less health affecting nicotine alternative. Electronic cigarettes are a silly fad. 

Ok these DUDE JUST quit posts are assine

every one is different an many members of my family struggle to quit, eCigs helped a lot of them honestly! 

I signed, 

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 34
  +1 

I stopped smoking 4 years ago... Went about 2 years with no nicotine at all. Then for some reason ended up using nicotine gums, replaced the nicotine gums with a nice vaping device. Now I can get nicotine and have something to play with my hands when I am bored. I think they are good, have you seen a proper one? I mean not the crap you get in a newsagent.... They are pretty cool. This is what I have at the moment... if you like nicotine but do not want to die of lung cancer and do not like nicotine gum, then they are a great alternative... Not a "silly fad" at all. Some people (like me) just like smoking nicotine.... No plans to quit.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 34

I stopped smoking 4 years ago... Went about 2 years with no nicotine at all. Then for some reason ended up using nicotine gums, replaced the nicotine gums with a nice vaping device. Now I can get nicotine and have something to play with my hands when I am bored. I think they are good, have you seen a proper one? I mean not the crap you get in a newsagent.... They are pretty cool. This is what I have at the moment... if you like nicotine but do not want to die of lung cancer and do not like nicotine gum, then they are a great alternative... Not a "silly fad" at all. Some people (like me) just like smoking nicotine.... No plans to quit.

There is that too. Nice point and those are pretty neat looking! And a portable Vaporizer... oh man... you know I tempted to ask... I have a friend who uhh *cough* *cough* likes to smoke "nicoTHCtine" as well 

Apoliogies in advance if they are needed 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 34
I apologize for implying that it's easy to quit smoking. I understand it's difficult for most people to quit smoking and I can see the usefulness of patch and gum programs that are designed to give the user a measured dose of nicotine which over time is reduced until the person isn't taking any nicotine at all. Yes I have seen(and tried) a few different models of these so called "nice vaping devices." I am sure you're aware that nicotine itself likely causes hardening of the arteries as well as other possible circulatory conditions, not to mention the user continues to be addicted to it. The reason i call it a fad, and will continue to call it a fad is because nicotine inhalers exist--no smoke, no vapour--so it seems to me that the vapour concept and fancy little pens are totally unnecessary. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 34
  I apologize for implying that it's easy to quit smoking. I understand it's difficult for most people to quit smoking and I can see the usefulness of patch and gum programs that are designed to give the user a measured dose of nicotine which over time is reduced until the person isn't taking any nicotine at all. Yes I have seen(and tried) a few different models of these so called "nice vaping devices." I am sure you're aware that nicotine itself likely causes hardening of the arteries as well as other possible circulatory conditions, not to mention the user continues to be addicted to it. The reason i call it a fad, and will continue to call it a fad is because nicotine inhalers exist--no smoke, no vapour--so it seems to me that the vapour concept and fancy little pens are totally unnecessary. 

Well people smoke cigarettes for a reason, not just due to addiction, but because they enjoy it and like the effects of it, I know that nicotine is not harmless and can cause problems with vasoconstriction etc. but vaping is a lot less harmful than smoking anyway. Gums and patches are useful if you are trying to quit, but if you find that you still enjoy the action of smoking and the effects of nicotine, then vaping is the safest way of doing this. I view vaping as an alternative to smoking as well as a quitting aid, it is a more effective quitting aid then nicotine gums and patches anyway, but the issue is that governments are not getting any revenue from it compared to NRT and smoking. You should sign the petition out of principle, even if you do not like vaping.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 34

Another valid point, but in know that here in the US, there are a good number of people. Including family and friends who started smoking... partly due to the social aspects of it. A guy I  worked with at a resturant... wanted to know why 6 employee's all went out back every at lunch... he started smoking that day. 

Additionally a quick search of "Nicotine Vaporizer" lead me to several eCig cites... and I work in retail we sell eCigs for about $30 US... seems to be equally expensive if not a little bit cheaper than Cigs 

That said, I don't think it's a "fad" granted the social aspects of it may cause it to appear as such however it's an addiction. A desired or un-desired addiction. And for those that enjoy it, there is a desire to enjoy it... in more complicated ways.

After all were here at head fi... we can use cheap iBuds for music but nope instead we get $1000 headphones [not all of us ofc]

Still for those that enjoy Nicotine, there is a market for products associated with it, the same as there is a market for headphones. Now do different Vaporizeres perform differently... I have no clue but the point is, it's not a fad. Nicotine addition seems to be consist thing today, and so long as it exists so will the products associted with it. We may see them called b different names, and even look different but at the end of the day it's all really the same product... or rather all products perform the same basic function.

That said Blaker you seem to have joined Head Fi a while ago, and this thread may have been some of your first posts. Did you get a chance to sign the Petition :3, it appears that the topic of Nicotine must... interest you since 2/3 posts on are this thread! 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 34
Hope this gets enough signs. EU, then U.S. Even for the DIY'ers of ejuice I keep hearing of bans on the nicotine itself. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 34
  Hope this gets enough signs. EU, then U.S. Even for the DIY'ers of ejuice I keep hearing of bans on the nicotine itself. 

I'm down for ANYTHING that get's ppl to stop blowing Sig Smoke in my face! I honestly HATE being ANY where near Smoked Tabcco Cigurates 

A few of my co-workers have eCigs. And they are, imo, MUCH less invasive then traditional Cigs! That said, ironically I'm friends with a good number of smokers ;/ 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 34
They do perform differently... better tanks will give you more vapour / better flavour and variable voltage batteries will allow you to get the best flavour / vapour production depending on the resistance of the coil. The quality of e-liquid also makes a big difference to flavour etc. They can range from anything from completely vile to very nice tasting... So a cheap ecig with crap liquid = bad taste, no vapour etc. whereas a good variable voltage battery with a good tank = nice flavour and lots of vapour.... After a point though you are just paying for build quality and looks with not a lot of extra performance, sort of like an expensive watch... A £50 one will basically do the same as a £500 one... But the £500 is just nicer to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back